Important COVID-19 Updates
All DMV locations reopened Jan. 5, 2021, and are now open weekdays from 7 am-3:30 pm Mon., Tues., Thurs., and Fri.; and 7:30 am-3:30 pm Wed.
Face masks are required for all customers and social distancing is enforced.
Enforcement of expired temporary permits/plates/registrations by DPD and DOTI Right-of-Way enforcement officials restarted on April 1, 2021. Enforcement had been waived for Denver residents from Nov. 23, 2020 through March 31, 2021 to accommodate processing delays at the state level. If you have a new or renewed registration, but have not yet received your tags due to delays at federal, state, or county level, please contact the state or Denver DMV for support.
Denver Motor Vehicle 2021 Furlough Day Closures
2021 Furlough Day Closures:
In addition to regular holiday closures, Denver Motor Vehicle services will be unavailable on the following days in 2021 due to a citywide furlough:
- May 28 (Friday before Memorial Day)
- September 3 (Friday before Labor Day)
- November 26 (Friday after Thanksgiving)
- December 23 (Thursday before observed Christmas holiday)
Online Vehicle Services & COVID-19 Protocols
Many transactions can be completed online including:
- Vehicle registration renewals
- License plate or sticker replacements
- Address updates
- Some vehicle registrations
In-Person DMV Title & Registration Visits:
- If your transaction requires an in-person visit, please ensure you have all the needed documentation to avoid multiple trips to the DMV.
- To reduce the chances of COVID-19 exposure for clients and staff, DMV lobbies must remain at reduced capacity. Clients should check-in with staff upon arrival and follow their instructions for safe, socially distanced waiting.
- Clients with completed paperwork who are paying by check can place their information directly into a drop box at any of the five DMV branch locations without waiting. Staff will process and send the updated registration within 3-4 business days.
- Dealers must utilize a specific dealer window at the Tremont branch location at 2855 Tremont Place, Denver, CO 80205.
- To learn more about current Emissions Testing, visit our Emissions page.
- To learn about guidance for New Vehicle Purchases, visit our Register a New or Used Vehicle page.
All vehicles are required by Colorado State law to have both a front and back plate. Also visit our Vehicle Title Transfers page under the "Buying and Selling a Vehicle" topic for more on operation of an unregistered vehicle or driving without plates.
These plate types are not considered specialty plates and are issued at the DMV during the time of your registration.
Notice about specialty plates: County Motor Vehicle offices will no longer issue specialty plates as of April 21, 2014. These plate types will be part of the State of Colorado's "Print on Demand" program. Please come into the Denver County DMV (Denver residents only) to choose your plates at the time of registration. Your plates will be mailed directly to your address within three weeks.
Learn more about Print-On-Demand Plates below:
Learn About Vanity, Special, & Other License Plates
How to order personalized plates
- Visit the State of Colorado's website to complete an application for personalized plates.
- Mail your application to the address shown on the application form. *Do not mail payment with application. You will receive further instructions once your application has been approved.
- You will receive an approval letter by mail with a billing notice requesting payment for the appropriate fees. These must be submitted within twenty-one (21) days from the dated notice.
- Use our online system to schedule the pickup of your plates. (Denver County residents only.)
Schedule Plate Pickup