Register a Vehicle
Important COVID-19 Updates
All DMV locations reopened Jan. 5, 2021, and are now open weekdays from 7 am-3:30 pm Mon., Tues., Thurs., and Fri.; and 7:30 am-3:30 pm Wed.
Face masks are required for all customers and social distancing is enforced.
Enforcement of expired temporary permits/plates/registrations by DPD and DOTI Right-of-Way enforcement officials is waived for Denver residents through Feb. 28, 2021.
Fees for late registration of expired tags were waived through Jan. 31, 2021. If you renewed online and believe you were charged a late fee, request a refund by completing this form. If you have a new or renewed registration, but have not yet received your tags due to delays at federal, state, or county level, please contact the state or Denver DMV for support.
Denver Motor Vehicle 2021 Furlough Day Closures
2021 Furlough Day Closures:
In addition to regular holiday closures, Denver Motor Vehicle services will be unavailable on the following days in 2021 due to a citywide furlough:
- May 28 (Friday before Memorial Day)
- September 3 (Friday before Labor Day)
- November 26 (Friday after Thanksgiving)
- December 23 (Thursday before observed Christmas holiday)
Online Vehicle Services & COVID-19 Protocols
Many transactions can be completed online including:
- Vehicle registration renewals
- License plate or sticker replacements
- Address updates
- Some vehicle registrations
In-Person DMV Title & Registration Visits:
- If your transaction requires an in-person visit, please ensure you have all the needed documentation to avoid multiple trips to the DMV.
- To reduce the chances of COVID-19 exposure for clients and staff, DMV lobbies must remain at reduced capacity. Clients should check-in with staff upon arrival and follow their instructions for safe, socially distanced waiting.
- Clients with completed paperwork who are paying by check can place their information directly into a drop box at any of the five DMV branch locations without waiting. Staff will process and send the updated registration within 3-4 business days.
- Dealers must utilize a specific dealer window at the Tremont branch location at 2855 Tremont Place, Denver, CO 80205.
- To learn more about current Emissions Testing, visit our Emissions page.
- To learn about guidance for New Vehicle Purchases, visit our Register a New or Used Vehicle page.
3 Ways to Renew Your Registration
There are three ways to renew your registration/plates without having to visit a Denver Motor Vehicle office.
Visit mydmv.colorado.gov to renew online. Note: You can't renew all plate types online. You also can't renew online if you need to provide proof of insurance or an emissions test. If you encounter this issue, call 311 and we may be able to assist you by phone.
2. By Phone
Call 311 to see if you are eligible to renew by phone. Have your registration and credit card or checking account information available.
3. By Mail
To renew by mail, return the Renewal Mailer notice and payment in the postage-paid envelop provided.