Register a Vehicle
Important COVID-19 Updates
All DMV locations will reopen for in-person transactions on Tues., Jan. 5, 2021 for the regular hours of 7 am-3:30 pm Mon., Tues., Thurs., and Fri., and 7:30 am-3:30 pm on Wed.
Face masks are required for all customers and social distancing will be enforced. To keep lobby areas at a safe capacity, DMV Title and Registration staff will serve customers in the order in which they arrive, except for seniors and people living with disabilities who will receive priority service. Customers will receive a number when they arrive and will be notified by DMV Title and Registration staff when it is safe to enter the lobby. Additionally, dealers must utilize a specific dealer window at the Tremont branch location at 2855 Tremont Place, Denver, CO 80205.
Enforcement of expired tags by DPD and DOTI Right-of-Way enforcement officials is waived until Jan. 31, 2021. In addition, if you live in Denver and renewed your expired registration online on or after Nov. 23, you may have been charged a late fee. Request a refund of late fees by completing this form. Denver waived late fees through Jan. 31, 2021.
Denver Motor Vehicle 2021 Furlough Day Closures
2021 Furlough Day Closures:
In addition to regular holiday closures, Denver Motor Vehicle services will be unavailable on the following days in 2021 due to a citywide furlough:
- May 28 (Friday before Memorial Day)
- September 3 (Friday before Labor Day)
- November 26 (Friday after Thanksgiving)
- December 23 (Thursday before observed Christmas holiday)
Online Vehicle Services & COVID-19 Protocols
Many transactions can be completed online including:
- Vehicle registration renewals
- License plate or sticker replacements
- Address updates
- Some vehicle registrations
In-Person DMV Title & Registration Visits:
- If your transaction requires an in-person visit, please ensure you have all the needed documentation to avoid multiple trips to the DMV.
- To reduce the chances of COVID-19 exposure for clients and staff, DMV lobbies must remain at reduced capacity. Clients should check-in with staff upon arrival and follow their instructions for safe, socially distanced waiting.
- Clients with completed paperwork who are paying by check can place their information directly into a drop box at any of the five DMV branch locations without waiting. Staff will process and send the updated registration within 3-4 business days.
- To learn more about current Emissions Testing, visit our Emissions page.
- To learn about guidance for New Vehicle Purchases, visit our Register a New or Used Vehicle page.
3 Ways to Renew Your Registration
There are three ways to renew your registration/plates without having to visit a Denver Motor Vehicle office. The City & County of Denver has made the process even better by removing all convenience fees for credit card and electronic check transactions. In other words, it will not cost you anything extra to use one of the renewal methods mentioned on the back of the newly designed Renewal Mailer:
Please visit https://www.denvergov.org/pocketgov/#/dmv to renew online. Not all plate types will qualify and the ability to renew online depends on whether you need proof of insurance or an emissions test. If you are unable to renew online please call 311 because you may still be able take advantage of the other methods we offer.
2. By Phone
Simply call 311 to see if you are eligible to renew by phone. Please have your registration information and your credit card or checking account information available.
3. By Mail
You can also use the newly designed Renewal Mailer to renew by mail. The new renewal notice includes an envelope for your convenience and the postage is paid. No more searching for an envelope and a stamp to send off your renewal!