Renew Vehicle Registration

You must renew your vehicle registration annually. A courtesy renewal reminder is mailed within 30 days prior to your expiration month. Please be sure your address is up to date to ensure you receive your notice.

Our Renewal Notices are New and Improved!

Notices now include a postage paid self-addressed envelope and renewal coupon. Notices provide updates regarding emissions and insurance requirements.

Renew Online

Denver residents can register online to avoid visiting one of our branches. You can register online up until the last day of your grace period and if you are within the last 10 days of your grace period, you will receive a printable temporary registration to allow mailing time of your new registration. 

Renew Your Registration Online

By Phone

Denver Motor Vehicle accepts credit card or electronic check payments by phone. You can renew over the phone at any time but we recommend only using this service if you have at least 10 business days remaining in your grace period to allow for mailing time. We do not have the ability to issue temporary registrations with this service. Please call to inquire about eligibility.

Dial 720-865-4600 or 311 to renew by phone. Please have your license plate number and checking account or credit card information available.

By Mail

Notices now include a postage paid self-addressed envelope and renewal coupon and provide information on emissions and insurance requirements. If you are unable to utilize our data mailer, our mailing address is:

Denver Motor Vehicle Division
Denver, CO 80263-0001

Make all checks payable to Manager of Finance. Renewals by mail must be mailed out prior to the last day of your expiration month to allow time for processing and mailing.

In Person

To save you valuable time, we recommend utilizing our online, mail in or phone options but in order to serve you better in our branch offices we have implemented “renewal lines” to optimize your time and customer experience.

You may only register your vehicle in the county in which you reside. If you live outside Denver County, please visit the State of Colorado DMV website for information about where to renew your registration in person.

Can another party complete my renewal?

Anyone may complete registration renewals with the vehicle registration, insurance, and emissions if required.

How can I file for an extension?

Students, Military and other Colorado residents who are temporarily out of state may file for an emission extension. For rules and regulations visit our Emissions & Insurance page.

Emission and insurance requirements

Emissions Testing. Vehicles with a model year of 1981 and older must have an emissions test annually. 

Proof of Insurance. Insurance companies are required by law to submit their policyholder information to the State's database by the seventh day of each month. If your insurance carrier has not provided proof of insurance to the State, you will be required to provide proof of insurance for renewal by coming into one of our offices. Proof of insurance can provided in hard copy, faxed to one of our branch offices, or shown to our agents on your smartphone as an email attachment at the time of your visit to the DMV. Contact your insurance company for proper verification.