Frequently Asked Questions


How can I contact the Denver Public Trustee

Phone: 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400
Address: 201 West Colfax Avenue, Department 101
Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Will you notarize my documents?

Free notarization is available at the cashier's window, 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb office building. Your bank may offer free notary services as well.


What forms of payment do you accept?

  • See instructions for submitting electronic (or "wire") transfers(PDF, 123KB)
  • Visa, MasterCard or Discover is accepted for releases of deeds of trust.
  • Cash or personal checks are accepted for small amounts. These checks should be made out to Manager of Finance.
  • Redemption or cure payments must be paid in cash, electronic transfer or certified funds from a bank. Certified checks should be made out to Denver County Public Trustee.

How much do copies cost?

The photocopy fee for Public Trustee documents is 25 cents per page.

Foreclosure Auctions

When and where are auctions held?

The Denver Public Trustee foreclosure auctions are held online Thursdays at 10 a.m. Register, make deposits and bid here


How do I participate in the foreclosure auction?

Bidders must register and deposit funds here to participate in the Denver Public Trustee auctions. The policies, regulations and deadlines are available on the link.

Why was a foreclosure auction postponed for a particular property?

Not every house will go to auction. Some properties will be continued (postponed) week to week because of bankruptcy, a pending cure or other reason.

Why is the amount bid by the lender more than the amount of the outstanding loan?

The amount of the lender's bid is determined by the lender and its attorney and may include late fees, unpaid interest, attorney fees, and Public Trustee fees. These factors can sometimes cause the amount of the bid to exceed the amount of the initial loan.

Are there any other liens against the property that I want to bid on at the Public Trustee's auction?

The Public Trustee does not research chain of title or whether a given property has liens against it. You may use a title company or search through the public records (not all liens may be found this way).

I just purchased a property at the Public Trustee's Auction. Where do I pick up the keys to the house, and when can I move in?

Please consult a real estate attorney to determine when it is legal to enter a home purchased at auction through the Public Trustee. The Public Trustee does not have the keys to any properties.

How do I file an Intent to Redeem?

Redemptions take place only after a property has been sold at a foreclosure auction and is primarily a mechanism for junior lien holders. Please bring the appropriate documentation and payment to our offices, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. We are at 201 W. Colfax Ave., Dept. 101.

HOA Redemptions

Homeowner associations redeeming a property must provide:

  • a completed Intent to Redeem form
  • certified copy of the Declaration of Covenants (required by state statute and may be returned to the association upon request after it has been recorded in the Public Trustee Office)
  • $50 redemption fee - cash or check (certified check not necessary)
  • A signed and notarized statement confirming that the amount claimed as the portion of the lien used to redeem does not include an amount equal to the first 6 months of dues that would have been due immediately prior to the acceleration of the loan

Turn in all of the above to the Public Trustee by the deadline.

All Other Redemptions

Intent to Redeem forms must be:

  • accompanied by the lien being used to redeem the property
  • filled out and notarized
  • accompanied by a $50 redemption fee - cash or check (certified check not necessary)

Turn in all of the above to the Public Trustee by the deadline.

What is the fee to file an Intent to Redeem?

Lien holders are required to remit $50 for each Intent to Redeem, a copy of their lien, a list of expenses and receipts for those expenses.

Deed Release

What is the procedure for filing a Release of Deed of Trust?

Please see our Release of Deeds of Trust Information Tab.

Has my Release of Deed of Trust been recorded?

To check the recording status of a Release of Deed of Trust, call 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400, and ask to be transferred to the Public Trustee.