Public Meeting 3: Thurs. April 9, 2020 (cancelled)
View the May 2020 Project Update Video
In place of a public forum to provide a summary update of the Congress Park Pool Project, this video will cover the status of design, timeline of events and construction, and an opportunity to provide thoughts to the project team.
Public Input Infographic(PDF, 1MB)
Public Meeting 1: August 12, 2019
Survey 1: CLOSED as of 9/23/2019
Public Meeting 2: October 15, 2019
Survey 2, design options: CLOSED as of 12/31/2019
About the Project
Download the project summary sheet(PDF, 306KB)
Congress Park Pool was selected to be a project on the Elevate Denver Bond list, which was approved by voters in 2017. This pool is one of the city's oldest and has grown increasingly costly to maintain, requiring extensive upgrades.
The closure of Congress Park Pool in 2021 will result in new pool and facility to serve the community starting in 2022. Built in 1955, Congress Park Pool is one of Denver's oldest outdoor pools, and after 63 years of operation it has also become one of the city's most costly pools to maintain. In recent years, Congress Park Pool has seen multiple opening delays due to major leaks.
Thanks to the Elevate Denver bond, this project is fully funded, and the city can begin the process of building a state-of-the-art, public swimming pool. This project is one of the first bond projects to be launched. While bond projects will continue to roll out over the next 10 years with several fund issuances, work for Congress Park Pool was identified as a priority to start in the first year.
Projected Timeline as of 7/15/19:
- Fall 2018 | Design & Construction Procurement: Request for Qualifications (RFQs) will be released for both design consultant and construction management
- Fall 2019 | Initial Geotechnical Work: The ground surrounding the current pool structure will be examined to see what types of issues have been caused over time.
- Fall 2019 | Community Outreach: The public will be invited to participate in meetings and/or surveys to help inform the design of the new facility.
- The design process will include various means of gathering community input to ensure the Congress Park Pool remains a special and valued asset for the neighborhood. Local neighborhood organizations, schools, and community groups are encouraged to be involved.
- 2021 | Construction Begins: It’s expected to break-ground on the project sometime in 2021.
During the construction closure, there are many other indoor and outdoor public pools open to help keep you physically fit and cool during the summer. The closest outdoor pools to the Congress Park neighborhood are Mestizo-Curtis Pool and La Alma Pool. Find the full list of pools at denvergov.org/recreation.