Denver Police Make Arrests in Arson Homicide
Published on January 27, 2021
Denver – Wednesday, January 27, 2021 – Today, the Denver Police Department announces the arrests of three juvenile suspects in the intentional fire that killed five residents at 5312 North Truckee Street on August 5, 2020. The three juvenile suspects were taken into custody earlier today and are being held for investigation of:
- Five counts of Murder in the First Degree, C.R.S.18-3-102 (1)(b) (Felony Murder), Class 1 Felonies
- Five counts of Murder in the First Degree, C.R.S.18-3-102 (1)(d) (Extreme Indifference Murder), Class 1 Felonies;
- Three counts of Criminal Attempt Murder in the First Degree, 18-2-101(1)(d) (Extreme Indifference), Class 2 Felonies
- Two counts of First-Degree Assault, C.R.S.18-3-202(1)(c) (Extreme Indifference), Class 3 Felonies
- One count of First-Degree Burglary, 18-4-202(1), Class 3 Felony;
- One count of Second-Degree Burglary, 18-4-203(2)(a), Class 3 Felony
- Three counts of First-Degree Arson, C.R.S. 18-4-102(1), Class 3 Felonies
- Eight counts of Fourth Degree Arson, C.R.S 18-4-105(1)(2), Class 4 Felonies.
“We continue to express our condolences to those affected by this crime,” said Denver Police Chief Paul M. Pazen. “Our homicide team, along with our partners at the ATF, U.S. Secret Service, and the Denver Fire Department, worked tirelessly to identify those responsible for this horrible crime, and we thank those who supported the family and the Senegalese community.”
Because the arrestees are juveniles and the investigation is ongoing, there is limited releasable information regarding this crime. However, at this stage in the investigation, investigators have not uncovered any evidence that indicates this crime was motivated by bias. The three male suspects, of which two are 16 years-old and one is 15 years-old, were taken into custody this morning, at their homes in Jefferson County. While they are known to each other, there is no familial relationship between the three males.
Due to the ages of the suspects, the probable cause statements are sealed and booking photos are unavailable. Final charges will be determined by the Denver District Attorney.
Additional appreciation to Metro Denver Crime Stoppers for their continued support and significant monetary reward for information.
Today’s press conference can be viewed here.