The Auditor’s Office is responsible for internal audit services and prevailing wage and minimum wage enforcement. Denver’s Auditor, Timothy M. O’Brien, CPA, has more than 40 years of auditing and accounting experience. Auditor O’Brien strives to bring greater clarity, transparency, and accountability to Denver’s City government for its residents.
Visit the Denver Auditor Website
About the Auditor
Elected as the Denver Auditor in 2015, Timothy O’Brien is distinguished from his predecessors by being an actual professional auditor. He is a licensed Certified Professional Accountant and holds the designations of Chartered Financial Analyst and Chartered Global Management Accountant.
In his 11 years in Colorado’s top auditing job as the Colorado State Auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Pushed for the Great Colorado Payback program that returned almost $400 million to the rightful owners
- Produced over 750 financial and performance audits
- Identified savings of over $200 million
- Managed budget increases to less than 1.5% per year
- Was twice recognized by the non-partisan National Conference of State Legislatures for his legislative program
As a board member, an Audit Committee expert, and as an auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Participated in hundreds of audits
- Facilitated the merger between two publicly held corporations
- Advised public pension plans
Auditor O’Brien has led both private and public organizations, and provided expert financial advice to those and others. He was honored with the 2016 Jonathan Holtzinger Award of Excellence by the Colorado Chartered Financial Analyst Society for demonstrating the highest standards as a financial and investment professional. Auditor O’Brien also received the 2017 Outstanding CPA in Government Impact Award from the American Institute of CPAs.