Gov. Hickenlooper signed HB15-1327 into law changing the requirements for proxy marriage. The law is effective on May 28, 2015. These are the new requirements for proxy marriages.
The law limits proxy marriages to an absent person who is:
· A member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in another country or in another state in support of combat or military operation; or
· A government contractor, or an employee of a government contractor, working or in support of US military operations in another country or in another state.
The bill also states that the requirements for applying for a marriage license for a proxy marriage are the following:
· One party is a resident of Colorado;
· One party appears in person to apply for the marriage license and pays the required fees;
· The signatures of both parties to the proxy marriage are required, and the party present shall sign the marriage license application and provide an absentee affidavit form containing the notarized signature of the absent party, along with proper identification documents required for a marriage license for the absent party; and
· Both parties (and the proxy) are 18 years of age or older.
Self-solemnization is not allowed in a marriage by proxy. You can find a Marriage Ceremony Proxy Power of Attorney form on the forms page. The spouse who can be present and the proxy must both present a valid ID when applying for the license.
Frequently asked questions about Marriage by Proxy:
Q. If my paperwork is already in process, can I still get married by proxy in Colorado?
A. You may be married by proxy in Colorado if you meet the requirements listed above.
Q. What documents can I use to prove Colorado residency?
A. Colorado driver’s license, lease agreement, utility bill, or a voter registration card are all acceptable forms of ID. Only one of these documents is necessary.
Q. What documents can I use to prove active duty military status and deployment?
A. Your Orders (a copy of the written document) will be proof. Still have questions? Please email:email@example.com