Mayor Hancock and City Council come together to create a new Office of Climate Action, Sustainability, & Resiliency under the Mayor's Office. In addition, they agree to a Climate Action Stakeholder Process to determine the best and most effective path forward for the City to mitigate climate change and prepare for its impacts.
- Denver International Airport emerges as one of the greenest airports in the world. Despite continued growth, the airport has reduced electricity used campus-wide by over 14% since 2005 and reduced overall greenhouse gas emissions by over 23% from a 2013 baseline. DEN is a global leader in solar energy development. During Mayor Hancock’s administration, three solar arrays have been constructed totaling eight megawatts of new generation, and two Community Solar Gardens will be completed this year.
- Denver converts all City street lights to LEDs
- Denver receives a Platinum rating in US Green Building Council's LEED for Cities for its leadership in environmental and social sustainability.
- The Solutions Journal devotes its entire 10th-anniversary issue to sustainability work in Denver.
- Bloomberg Philanthropies announces Denver as a winner of the Bloomberg American Cities Climate Challenge for the top 25 cities nationally leading the way on climate action and will receive a $2.5 million prize. Denver will focus on using resources and experts awarded through the Challenge to transform its EV market through an education and test-drive campaign, new policies, and incentives to drive investment in infrastructure. The city is aimed at further reducing emissions from its transportation sector and will work with new corridors of high-frequency public transit service, redesign streets to prioritize safety for walking and biking, as well as offer incentives to increase public transit ridership.
- Completed installation of an EV charging station and subsidized EVGo Carshare service for DHA Mariposa residents.
- Joined a coalition of local governments to support the adoption of a Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) standard in Colorado by participating in the rulemaking at the Air Quality Control Commission.