Denver’s local landmark designation program is a public process that recognizes properties of historical, architectural and geographical importance to the City and County of Denver. To be eligible for designation, a district or structure must maintain its historic and physical integrity and meet criteria in two of three categories: history, architecture and geography.
Designation applications may be initiated by property owners, local residents and/or local business owners. Applications are reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff, the Landmark Preservation Commission (LPC) and ultimately by City Council, which makes the final decision on designation. LPC and City Council hold public hearings as part of their review. If a property is designated, City Council adopts a landmark designation ordinance, which is then recorded with the City Clerk.
Set up a pre-application review meeting with Landmark Preservation staff. The staff may help by:
Submit the completed application along with required fees to Landmark Preservation.
Landmark preservation staff will review your application to determine whether the application is complete and Denver landmark designation criteria are met.
Once Landmark Preservation staff determines that an application is complete and that landmark designation criteria are met, the application will be set for a public hearing before the Landmark Preservation Commission.
Upon recommendation of the Landmark Preservation Commission, the application for designation is forwarded to City Council.
Additional requirements and time frames apply to various steps in the designation process. Please contact Landmark Preservation at 720-865-2709 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Staff reports for proposed designations will be posted ahead of the appointed meeting or public hearing. If you use assistive technology and have trouble accessing the content in the PDF documents below, please contact email@example.com.
Tom's Diner at 601 E. Colfax Ave. was designed by California architectural firm Armet and Davis, and constructed in 1967 as part of the local White Spot restaurant chain. The first White Spot Restaurant was established at 22 South Broadway by William F. Clements in 1947.
This 1905 Northeast Park Hill home is potential significant for its association with the development of the city as the area evolved from a farming community to a residential suburb, as an example of a four-square type residents and as a rare remaining farmhouse.
Jefferson Park is one of Denver’s oldest neighborhoods, with houses dating to the 1880s, and River Drive is one of its most distinct and historically intact streets. The proposed district exhibits the development and architecture of a Denver neighborhood between 1885 and 1923.
Questions may be directed to Senior City Planner Jenny Buddenborg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cableland, built by Bill Daniels, is significant for Daniel’s role as an early pioneer in cable television and as a prominent philanthropist in Denver society. The home was designed to host charity events by California architect Lawrence Pepper and interior designer Andrew Gerhard. Cableland is also an exceptional example of residential Postmodern architecture in Denver.
Questions may be directed to Principal Planner-Landmark Preservation; Kara Hahn at email@example.com