Skip navigation

Amusement Facility - Permanent/Temporary

Permanent Facilities

Facilities open for public viewing or participation and used for performances of music, dance, comedy, oration and drama; sporting events and exhibitions; animal exhibitions, billiard parlor, and pool hall;  recreational activities such as bowling; and facilities that include four (4) or more amusement devices (e.g. video games, computer games, pinball machines, and foosball machines)

Temporary Facilities

Short term show, exhibition, or special event where there is a charge for admission. This includes things such as circuses, carnivals, rodeos, festivals, fairs, bazaars, haunted houses, Christmas shows, petting zoos, stock shows, automotive shows, collector shows, touring exhibits and similar shows as well as concerts, dances, music performances, dramatic or comedy performances.


Facilities owned or operated by a non-profit organization, school, college, university or the City are exempt from licensing.


How to Get a New Business License

A Zone Use Permit is required before obtaining an Amusement Facility -  Permanent/Temporary License. 

A use permit is a document granting the applicant/owner of a lot, building, or structure permission for the requested use of the land. "Use" can be defined as any activity, occupation, business or operation transacted in a building or on a lot/tract of land.

You can use the resources on the Internet to plan ahead before you lease or buy property and before you apply for your business license.  Follow the steps below to learn more about the approved zone uses for the address where you want to locate your business.  Start on the  Find Your Zoning page.

  1. Enter the desired address.  Click Search.
  2. Note the Zone District.
  3. Click on the + to Expand for more information. 
  4. Note the Neighborhood Context.
  5. Click on the link for the Zoning Code or in Former Chapter 59.
  6. Click on the Article # for the Neighborhood Context noted above.
  7. Open the document and scroll to the "Use" tables at the bottom of the document.
  8. Find the "Use" category in the left column and the Zone District in the columns to the right.
  9. The code in the intersecting square represents the permitted use.  (There is a key to the codes at the top of every page.)

Ultimately, the zone use permit for your business license must be approved and issued by the Zoning department.  Learn more about the Denver Zoning Code or visit the Zoning Office.


Applying for a Zone Use Permit


Office Hours and Location

General Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Webb Municipal Office Building

201 W. Colfax Avenue, 2nd Floor


All City Services:  (720) 913-1311

General:  (720) 865-3000




Permanent Facility

Application Fee:  $250.00

License Fee:  $100.00

Fingerprint Fees per person:  $16.50 


Temporary Facility

Application Fee:  $100.00

License Fee:  $75.00

Per Event:  $75.00

Fingerprint Fees per person:  $16.50


Fees can be paid with cash, check,  money order or credit card.  Checks should be made payable to Manager of Finance. 

  • Development Services (720) 865-2982
  • Denver Fire Department (720) 913-3474
  • Department of Public Health and Environment (720) 865-5401

Once your inspections are completed, return to the Department of Excise and Licenses office.  Your license will be issued when the following actions are taken: 

  1. All documents required for the license are complete and submitted to the office.
  2. The background check is accepted and approved.
  3. Fees are paid in full.
  4. All required inspections are passed.

Renew a Business License

Renew in Person
Come to the Department of Excise and Licenses office.

The Department of Excise and Licenses is on the second floor of the Webb Bldg. at 201 W. Colfax Avenue in Denver. 

Sign into the Kiosk right inside our doorway. When you are called to the counter, explain to the technician you wish to renew your business license. 

If all renewal documentation is complete you will be issued an invoice for the renewal fees. Take the invoice to the cashier and pay the renewal fees. If you do not receive your license from the cashier, please return to Excise and Licenses and your license will be printed. 

Renew by Mail 

You can mail in your license renewal along with a check made payable to the Manager of Finance for the total city fees due. Be sure to include your Business File Number (BFN) on your check.

Office Hours and Location 

8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Webb Municipal Office Building
201 W. Colfax Avenue, 2nd Floor

Mailing Information
Department of Excise and Licenses
201 W. Colfax Ave Dept. 206
Denver, CO 80202

License Fee:  $100.00

Licenses must be renewed on or before the expiration date to avoid penalty fees.


90 Day Grace Period

There is a 90 day grace period from the expiration date during which licenses can be renewed by paying the license fee and the penalty fee.

First 30 days of grace period:  20% penalty fee

Days 31 - 90:  50% penalty fee

After 90 days:  Licensees will be required to apply for a new license


  • Department of Excise and Licenses inspectors will attempt to locate and notify business license holders of the approaching expiration date.  However, failure of an inspector to notify a delinquent licensee that its license has expired does not excuse the licensee from any applicable late penalty.


Municipal Code

Denver Revised Municipal Code

Definition 7-10, 7-12 

Requirements 7-26

Fees 32-48.5

Plan Extra Time!

Date Icon

Inspections and paperwork can take longer than you expect.  Plan extra time to get your license.