Skip navigation

Child Care Home / Child Care Center

Child Care Home

Private residence providing care and education for periods of less than 24 hours for up to 8 children from 2 to 16 years old


Child Care Center

Facility which is maintained for the whole or part of a day but for less than twenty-four hour care of 5 or more children from the ages of 6 weeks through 16 years

Important: You must also be licensed through the state. See link under "Get your license".

See link for Denver Department of Environmental Health under Inspections


How to Get a Business License

  • Sole proprietor
  • Partnership
  • Corporation or Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)


If you need assistance creating your business, contact the Denver Office of Economic Development or visit their website for more information.

A Zone Use Permit is required before obtaining a Child Care Center license. 

A Zone Use Permit is not required for obtaining a Child Care Home license.

Applying for a Zone Use Permit

A use permit is a document granting the applicant/owner of a lot, building, or structure permission for the requested use of the land. "Use" can be defined as any activity, occupation, business or operation transacted in a building or on a lot/tract of land.

You can use the resources on the Internet to plan ahead before you lease or buy property and before you apply for your business license.  Follow the steps below to learn more about the approved zone uses for the address where you want to locate your business.  Start on the  Find Your Zoning page.
  1. Enter the desired address.  Click Search.
  2. Note the Zone District.
  3. Click on the + to Expand for more information. 
  4. Note the Neighborhood Context.
  5. Click on the link for the Zoning Code or in Former Chapter 59.
  6. Click on the Article # for the Neighborhood Context noted above.
  7. Open the document and scroll to the "Use" tables at the bottom of the document.
  8. Find the "Use" category in the left column and the Zone District in the columns to the right.
  9. The code in the intersecting square represents the permitted use.  (There is a key to the codes at the top of every page.)
Ultimately, the zone use permit for your business license must be approved and issued by the Zoning department.  Learn more about the Denver Zoning Code or visit the Zoning Office.
Office Hours and Location
General Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Webb Municipal Office Building
201 W. Colfax Avenue, 2nd Floor


All City Services:  (720) 913-1311
General:  (720) 865-3000

Child Care Center

  •  Zone Use Permit
  •  General Questionnaire
  •   Right of Possession Document (Lease or Deed) If renting, a letter from landlord granting permission for Child Care Center
  •   Affidavit of Lawful Presence  accompanied by Secure and Verifiable  Identification (if business is an individual or sole proprietor)
  •   Secure and Verifiable Identification


Child Care Home

  If renting, a letter from landlord granting permission for child care. 



Application Fee: 

$25.00 - 1 to 8 children

$100.00 - 9 to 25 children

$200.00 - 26 + children 


License Fee: 

$25.00 - 1 to 8 children

$100.00 - 9 to 25 children 

$200.00 - 26 + children 


Fees can be paid with cash, check,  money order or credit card.  Checks should be made payable to Manager of Finance. 

Child Care Home

  • Environmental Health 
   Environmental Health Information

Child Care Center

  • Development Services (720) 865-2982
  • Denver Fire Department (720) 913-3409
  • Environmental Health    (720) 865-5401

Once your inspections are completed, bring your signed card to the Department of Excise and Licenses office.  Your license will be issued when the following actions are taken: 

  1. All documents required for the license are complete and submitted to the office
  2. The background check, if required, is approved
  3. Fees are paid in full
  4. Inspection card is signed and turned in to the office

Child Care Centers and Child Care Homes must also be licensed through the State of Colorado. 

Colorado Licensing Information

Renew a Business License

Renew in Person
Come to the Department of Excise and Licenses office.

Request a renewal for your business license.

You will be issued a payment voucher.

Take the payment voucher to the cashier and pay the renewal license fee.

Return to the Department of Excise and Licenses office with your receipt for payment.

Your business license will be printed.


Renew by Mail
You can mail in your license renewal along with a check made payable to the Manager of Finance for the total city fees due. Be sure to include your Business File Number (BFN) on your check.

Office Hours and Location
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Webb Municipal Office Building
201 W. Colfax Avenue, 2nd Floor

All City Services: 311

Mailing Information
Department of Excise and Licenses
201 W. Colfax Ave Dept. 206
Denver, CO 80202

Licenses must be renewed on or before the expiration date to avoid penalty fees.

90 Day Grace Period

There is a 90 day grace period from the expiration date during which licenses can be renewed by paying the license fee and a penalty fee.

First 30 days of grace period:  20% penalty fee

Days 31 - 90:  50% penalty fee

After 90 days:  Licensees will be required to apply for a new license


  • Department of Excise and Licenses inspectors will attempt to locate and notify business license holders of the approaching expiration date.  However, failure of an inspector to notify a delinquent licensee that its license has expired does not excuse the licensee from any applicable late penalty.


Municipal Code

Denver Revised Municipal Code

Definition 11-2 

Requirements 11-16

Fees 32-57

Plan Extra Time!

Date Icon

Inspections and paperwork can take longer than you expect.  Plan extra time to get your license.