Skip navigation

Retail Food Mobile License

A retail food establishment that reports and operates from a commissary and is readily moveable, a motorized wheeled vehicle, or a towed wheeled vehicle designed and equipped to serve food.

Denver Food License Information

How to Get a Business License

  • Sole proprietor
  • Partnership
  • Corporation or Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)

If you need assistance creating your business, contact the Denver Office of Economic Development or visit their website for more information.

Application for Zone Use Permit


A Zone Use Permit is required before obtaining a Retail Food Mobile License if the vehicle will be stored on property located in the City and County of Denver. 

A use permit is a document granting the applicant/owner of a lot, building, or structure permission for the requested use of the land. "Use" can be defined as any activity, occupation, business or operation transacted in a building or on a lot/tract of land.

You can use the resources on the Internet to plan ahead before you lease or buy property and before you apply for your business license.  Follow the steps below to learn more about the approved zone uses for the address where you want to locate your business.  Start on the Find Your Zoning page.

  • Enter the desired address.  Click Search.

  • Note the Zone District.

  • Click on the + to Expand for more information

  • Note the Neighborhood Context

  • Click on the link for the Zoning Code or in Former Chapter 59

  • Click on the Article # for the Neighborhood Context noted above

  • Open the document and scroll to the "Use" tables at the bottom of the document

  • Find the "Use" category in the left column and the Zone District in the columns to the right


The code in the intersecting square represents the permitted use (There is a key to the codes at the top of every page.). Ultimately, the zone use permit for your business license must be approved and issued by the Zoning department.

Learn more about the Denver Zoning Code or visit the Zoning Office.

Office Hours and Location
General Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Webb Municipal Office Building
201 W. Colfax Avenue, 2nd Floor 

All City Services:  (720) 913-1311
General:  (720) 865-3000


If you are a Corporation or a LLC,  one of the principals or the operator must complete the Affidavit of Lawful Presence form on behalf of the company,

Application Fee:  $200.00

License Fee:  $125.00

Fees can be paid with cash, check,  money order or credit card.  Checks should be made payable to Manager of Finance. 

Once fees are paid in full, an Inspection Card will be issued. 

  • Environmental Health (720) 865-5401 
    Environmental Health will not approve any mobile unit, new or renewal, until an inspection is conducted and a completed Affidavit of Commissary is approved.

  • Denver Fire Department (720) 913-3409
    Inspections are done at Fire Headquarters at 745 W. Colfax Ave. between the hours of 6:30am and 9am. Before you go to the fire station for your inspection, make sure you have fulfilled the following requirements...  

        a)  All food trucks and/or carts shall have an approved fire extinguisher that has been inspected on a yearly basis by a Denver Fire Department licensed fire extinguisher company or,

        b)  Fire extinguishers bought from a retail store shall have the receipt showing the date of purchase. This extinguisher is good for one year only, or can be inspected on a yearly basis.    

        c)  Fire extinguisher shall be a minimum of 2A: 10BC Classification.

        d)  All hood system extinguishing systems shall be inspected every six months by a Denver Fire Department licensed fire extinguisher company.   

        e)  Frying of any type (frying, deep fat frying, woks, etc.) and any solid fuel shall have a Class K rated fire extinguisher as well as the Class 2A: 10BC extinguisher.

f)   Propane tanks shall be mounted securely to truck or cart.

Once your inspections are completed, bring your signed Inspection Card and approved Affidavit of Commissary to the Department of Excise and Licenses office. Your license will be issued. 

Renew a Business License

Environmental Health requires an inspection each year for mobile units. 

  • Contact: (720) 865-5401 to schedule an inspection. 
  • Bring all documentation to Excise and Licenses. You will be issued a payment voucher.
  • Take the payment voucher to the cashier and pay the renewal license fee.
  • Return to the Department of Excise and Licenses office with your receipt for payment.
  • Your business license will be issued.

Renew by Mail
You can mail in your approved Affidavit of Commissary along with a check made payable to the Manager of Finance for the total city license fees due. Be sure to include your Business File Number (BFN) on your check.

Office Hours and Location
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Webb Municipal Office Building
201 W. Colfax Avenue, 2nd Floor

All City Services: 311

Mailing Information
Department of Excise and Licenses
201 W. Colfax Ave Dept. 206
Denver, CO 80202

Licenses must be renewed on or before the expiration date to avoid penalty fees.

90 Day Grace Period
There is a 90 day grace period from the expiration date during which licenses can be renewed by paying for the license fee and a penalty fee.

  • First 30 days of grace period:  20% penalty fee
  • Days 31 - 90:  50% penalty fee
  • After 90 days:  Licensees will be required to apply for a new license

  • Department of Excise and Licenses inspectors will attempt to locate and notify business license holders of the approaching expiration date.  However, failure of an inspector to notify a delinquent licensee that its license has expired does not excuse the licensee from any applicable late penalty.


Municipal Code

Denver Revised Municipal Code

Definition 23-2 (23)

Requirements 23-50

Fees 32-106.5

Plan Extra Time!

Date Icon

Inspections and paperwork can take longer than you expect. Plan extra time to get your license.