Skip navigation

Liquor Licensing Division

Welcome to the Liquor Licensing Division of the Department of Excise and Licenses.  Colorado liquor and beer retail licenses are issued by both the City and State licensing authorities.

New: There is a new form that has been created to be used to re-issue a license if the license has been expired for more than 90 days but less than 180 days. The form is called DR8407. Please follow the directions carefully. 

NOTICE OF RULEMAKING: Alcohol Consumption Areas at the National Western Center

You are hereby notified that, pursuant to the Denver Revised Municipal Code, the Executive Director of the Department of Excise and Licenses is considering the adoption of proposed rules and regulations pertaining to Alcohol Consumption Areas at the National Western Center. Recently, the Denver City Council adopted an ordinance approving the regulation of alcohol consumption areas within the National Western Center in the City and County of Denver. The ordinance also authorized the Director of the Department to adopt certain rules pertaining to the regulation of such alcohol consumption areas.

You are further notified that on Monday, November 25, 2019 at 9:00 a.m., a public hearing on the proposed rules will be held at 201 West Colfax Avenue, Dept. #206, Denver, Colorado 80202. Public testimony will be taken at the hearing.

Members of the public wishing to provide written comment on the proposed rules may do so in one of three ways:

  1. Mail comments to the Department of Excise and Licenses, 201 West Colfax Avenue, Dept. #206, Denver, Colorado 80202
  2. Email comments to; or
  3. Deliver either written or verbal comments in person at the public hearing.

Click here to read the complete text of the proposed rules.

Click here to read the complete text of the adopted ordinance.

Click here to see all City Council actions on the adopted ordinance.

Appointments for new licenses, renewals, transfers or modifications of existing licenses will be accepted Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 3:00pm. Walk-ins will be accepted Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 3:00pm.

Please Note: 1 application per appointment. You can check-in 15 minutes early to appointment. You will not be able to check-in late for an appointment.

Cabaret Licenses

You must have a liquor license in conjunction with a cabaret license.


Public Hearings

Public hearings are required before obtaining certain new liquor licenses, a transfer of location, cabaret licenses, or modifications to building premises.

View the Schedule of Public Hearings.

Please note: This schedule may not be comprehensive, and is intended to serve as a guide only. For more information about liquor and cabaret license hearings in your neighborhood, please contact your city councilperson or your Registered Neighborhood Organization.




All documents submitted for renewal, including Colorado State applications, must be submitted to the Denver Department of Excise and Licenses. Click here for more instructions.


No paperwork should be sent back to the Colorado State offices


Policies and Procedures

All hearings held by the Department of Excise and Licenses are governed by the Department's Hearing Policies and Procedures. These Policies and Procedures have been written to interpret and implement the state statutes and municipal ordinances.

They set forth the standard practices of the Department for informational and guidance purposes only and may be modified or adapted in the discretion of the Director of the Department, as required to address particular matters and to the extent permitted by law.

Denver Excise and Licenses Hearing Policies and Procedures

Information about Public Hearings


Fingerprinting Information

Fingerprint Information



Image of digital subscribe button being clicked by the hand cursor icon

Sign up for the latest liquor licenses news and bulletins.

Documents in Duplicate

All documents should be submitted in duplicate.

  • One set for the Department of Excise and Licenses office
  • One set is sent to the state of Colorado office.

Where to Submit . . .
Submit completed application forms to the Department of Excise and Licenses.

Municipal Code

Denver Revised Municipal Code

Chapter 6 - Alcohol

Fees:  Chapter 32

State Statutes

Colorado StatuesColorado Liquor and Beer Laws