Skip navigation

Temporary Modification of Premises

Colorado Liquor Code Regulation 47-302 provides that, after a liquor or beer license has been issued, the licensee may not make any physical change, alteration, or modification of the premises that materially or substantially alters the licensed premises, or the use of the licensed premises, from the plans and specifications including walls submitted at the time of obtaining the original license without the prior written consent of the local and state licensing authorities.

How to Submit an Application

There are a variety of ways that you can submit your New or Renewal application to the Department of Excise and Licenses. If renewing, please make sure to include your Business File Number (BFN) with the submittal.

1.      In an effort to protect public safety, in-person customer service at Excise and Licenses is being offered by appointment only. Please visit our appointments website to make an appointment. 

2.      All license applications not available online can be submitted via email,, during this health crisis. Please visit our email application process page for more information on submitting email applications.

3.      You may also mail in your application with fees to:

City and County of Denver
Department of Excise and License
201 W Colfax Ave, Dept. 206
Denver, CO 80202

Make checks payable to: Manager of Finance

You may also pay for your applications online or via phone once you have submitted your application to Excise and Licenses. We will send you an invoice and you may pay virtually. Please visit our online payment process page for more information on how to submit payment for your applications.

For questions, please email or call 311.

Excise and Licenses will not offer fingerprinting services on site. This website offers information on fingerprinting services authorized by Colorado Applicant Background Services.

Steps for Temporary Modification of Premises License

  • A licensee must seek approval from the Department of Excise and Licenses and the State Liquor Enforcement Division prior to any material or substantial modification of a licensed premise.
  • Application forms must be submitted thirty (30) days before the proposed event start date for temporary modifications.

  • Application forms must be submitted thirty (30) days before the proposed construction start date.
  • Please make sure that no staples are in the documents when submitted to the Department of Excise and Licenses.
  • All documents must be submitted in duplicate.
  • Permit Application and Report of Changes
  • Authorization Document such as a Lease, Deed or letter from the landlord on company letterhead authorizing for the Temporary Modification to take place.                
  • Detailed sketch of the perimeter and interior of the premises.  The floor plan drawing is to be on 8 1/2 by 11 inches with dimensions included.  The diagram does not have to be to scale, but must accurately reflect the area to be licensed, including depictions of the following:
    • Exterior areas showing control of the licensed premises (fences, walls, doors, gates, etc) 
    • A diagram for each floor plan, outlined in red to indicate the liquor boundary before, during and after the event. The diagram must identify the location of the proposed licensed premises designating where alcoholic beverages will be sold, served, distributed or consumed before, during or after the event.                                                                                                           

$300.00 for a Temporary Modification of Premises ($150 build up, $150 tear down)

Fees can be paid by check or money order made out to the Colorado Department of Revenue. 

Depending on the decisions made by the Director of Excise and Licenses, a hearing may be held.

  • Development Services (720) 865 2982
  • Denver Fire Department (720) 913-3409
  • Department of Public Health and Environment (720) 865-5401
  • Department of Excise and Licenses (720) 913-1311 (Last inspection - Schedule when all other inspections have been passed.)

We will exchange your permit for your license when Excise and Licenses comes to be the last signer on your inspection list. 


State Statutes

Colorado StatuesColorado Liquor
and Beer Laws

Plan Extra Time!

Date Icon

Inspections and paperwork can take longer than you expect. Plan extra time to get your license.