Businesses wishing to obtain a new Cannabis Consumption Establishment License must follow these steps.
Be sure you read and understand the concepts outlined in Chapter 6 of the Denver Revised Municipal Code, the Rules and Regulations Governing Marijuana Designated Consumption Areas, the Signage Guidelines, and the Marijuana Facility Location Guide before applying.
1. Application Submission - Submit a completed Cannabis Consumption Establishment Application along with all supporting documents and fees to Denver Excise and Licenses.
2. Application Review - The department will review the application and all supplemental documents. It is the goal to have reviews complete within 30 days of receipt of complete application. If 30 days have passed and you would like to check on the status of your application review, please contact CAOExciseandLicense@denvergov.org
3. Public Hearing - Once the application review is completed and it is determined the application can proceed, Excise and Licenses will schedule a public hearing for your application. You will receive a scheduling order with additional instructions regarding your hearing.
4. Inspections – After the public hearing, if you receive a final decision allowing you to continue the application process, you will be issued an ‘inspection notice’ containing instructions for completing required inspections.
5. License Issuance - Return to Denver Excise and Licenses once your inspections are complete. A licensing technician will verify that each inspecting agency has electronically submitted an inspection approval for your proposed facility. A city license will then be issued for the new location. At this point (and not at any point prior) you may begin operating.
Please Note – all applications will be administratively closed if not completed within 12 months.