Skip navigation



Denver's legendary quality of life is not an accidental fact of nature. It must be continuously created and sustained for all who live here, with strong, diverse neighborhoods and housing that together ensures the promise of economic mobility. The City is committed to the preservation, rehabilitation and creation of affordable housing. OED partners with public, private and nonprofit organizations to ensure that safe, livable housing options exist for those with low and moderate incomes, people with special needs, and the low-income elderly. Strategic investments in a range of neighborhood projects reflect our focus on underserved and distressed areas. Here is a one-page listing of all city resources on housing. Help for those experiencing homeless, renters, hoping to buy, and hoping to stay in place.

Denver Animal Shelter logo

Visit the Denver Municipal Animal Shelter on  Facebook for tips, tricks and the latest pet adoptions. For information on animal health, abuse lost and found pets, laws, and other animal related issues visit  the  Denver Municipal Animal Shelter website. For additional animal complaint or questions call 3-1-1, or go online to the  311 Help Center.


A few rules on animals & pets:

  • Denver ordinance requires that excrement be removed immediately from any property that is not your own, public or private.
    • Although it is not illegal to allow your dog to poop on someone else’s property, it is illegal if the dog damages or destroys landscaping or fencing, or if the excrement is not removed immediately. Bare in mind that some neighbors work hard on their yards, and they see dogs relieving themselves on their prize daffodils as an affront. It is best to avoid any potential conflict by steering your best pal to the tree lawn, which is public right-of-way. 
    • Animal excrement cannot be discarded in storm sewers, but may be tossed into trash receptacles if it’s contained in a closed plastic bag or other closed airtight nonporous container.
  • Cats and Dogs must be vaccinated and licensed. 
  • No snakes, poisonous reptiles, pit bulls, or livestock.
  • Leash laws are  enforced and the person on the other end of the leash must have control of the dog.
  • Denver law prohibits any person from owning, possessing, keeping, exercising control over, maintaining, harboring or selling a pit bull in the City and County of Denver. A pit bull is defined as any dog that is an American Pit Bull Terrier, an American Staffordshire Terrier, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or any dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any one or more of these breeds. You can go to to view a list of pit bull related breeds.

You can call (303) 698-0076 to report barking or vicious dogs, dog at large. 

Wildlife in the City

Coyotes: Coyotes can be identified by a black tipped tail, black shoulder stripe, gold eyes, long pointed ears & nose and long legs

Tips for safety around the home:

  • Always turn on light and check yard before letting pet outside between dusk and dawn
  • Spray with a a hose in your yard
  • Trim thick shrubbery to 1 ft above ground so animals can’t hide underneath in your yard-they are ambush predators
  • Keep cats safe inside

If you encounter a coyote(s) when walking your dog:

  • DO NOT EVER ignore, turn back on, run away.
  • Stand ground, yell, make noise, make yourself look big.
  • Carry whistle, noisemaker, small rocks in pocket.
  • Approach aggressively if coyote doesn’t leave.
  • Pick up your dog if possible, don’t let coyote between you and pet.
  • Slowly back towards other people if necessary.
  • Do not stop harassing coyote until it leaves area.

NOTE: Coyotes are skittish and will eventually run away. They avoid confrontation with aggressive people. To report coyote activity or for further information, contact Doug Kelly with Denver Parks and Recreation, or (720) 913-0630.

For more information on wildlife in and around Denver, visit the 'Wildlife' section of the Denver Parks & Recreation website.


Want to register to vote or find your Voter Service Center? Would you like to view election maps & records, read ballot initiatives, or take a look at the election calendar? Contact the Denver Elections Division at 311, or visit

Powers and duties of the Denver Clerk and Recorder

  • Recorder of deeds and other documents affecting title to real property for Denver County
  • Power to administer oaths
  • Trade name registrations for Denver County
  • Conduct of state elections within Denver County
  • Conduct of municipal elections
  • Marriage licensing in Denver County
  • Attesting, certifying and authenticating documents, including countersigning all mayoral contracts
  • Keeping of ordinances, contracts and other official city documents
  • Keeping of campaign finance records
  • Keeping of financial disclosure records
  • Registration of lobbyists and keeping of lobbying reports
  • Maintenance of the domestic partnership registry
  • Member of the board of equalization for property taxes 

The City and County of Denver takes a collaborative approach to the management of marijuana, which includes multiple city agencies working together to address marijuana regulation, enforcement and education. This Denver Marijuana Information center provides links to information about marijuana business licensing, inspections and permits, news, and other important topics.

Find parks and recreation center maps and get information on recreation center classes with our recreation programs app.

You can contact Denver Parks & Recreation at:

201 W. Colfax, Dept. 601
Denver, CO 80202 
Phone: 720.913.1311

You may now check crime statistics in your neighborhood with an  interactive mapping tool .

Police non-emergency service contacts:
  • Call 311 for non-emergencies; call 911 for emergencies.
  • Denver Police Department
  • Neighborhood Crime Prevention
  • Non-Emergency number 720-913-2000
  • Crime Stoppers Hotline: (720) 913-7867
  • Drug Tip Hotline: (720) 913-DRUG (3784)
  • Public Safety Review Commission: (720) 913-8467
  • Speeding Enforcement: (720) 865-6905
    Cell Phone Emergency notifications

    Register for Denver 911 Emergency Cell Phone Notification. This system is used to distribute important information about emergency events occurring within the City and County of Denver. These are targeted notifications about incidents occurring in specific areas, like your neighborhood! Stay informed and stay safe.

    Property Records

    To find property related information such as property taxes and records for your home or business, visit the Assessor's Office

    You can also view detailed property information with our interactive real property search application which can show property assessment values, maps, comparables and more.


    The Denver Zoning Code implements the city's vision for the future of Denver. The code is intended to balance conservation and development, achieve design excellence in the built environment and guide Denver's prosperous and sustainable future.

    You can also find other related zoning information including :

    Historic Preservation

    According to Community Planning and Development’spreservation staff, historic preservation is achieved by local designation of both structures and districts. In order for a potential structure or district to be eligible for designation, it must meet two of the three criteria for historical significance described in the Landmark ordinance (Chapter 30): History, Architecture, and Geography. (View theLandmark Ordinance for specific criteria). All applications for designation are reviewed by Landmark staff, the Landmark Preservation Commission, the Denver Planning Board, and City Council.

    General process for designation is as follows:

    1. Pre-application review
    2. Submit application and fees
    3. Initial review at the Landmark Preservation Commission
    4. Landmark Preservation public hearing
    5. City Council public hearing

    While the Landmark Preservation Commission can make a recommendation for designation of an individual property or district, only City Council can approve the designation through a public hearing process. The entire process for designation is designed to maximize public input and involve the participation of registered neighborhood organizations.

    Neighborhood Inspections

    You can call 3-1-1, or go to the 311 online help center, for these issues:

    • Rubbish in yards and along alley.
    • Furniture and appliances in yard and on porches.
    • Weeds in yard and alley over 6” in height.
    • Branches accumulated in yard.
    • Dog waste accumulation in yard.
    • Excess amount of cars.
    • Parking on front lawn.
    • Existing sidewalk in need of repair.
    • Sidewalk/driveway construction requires permit.
    • Vacant buildings not secured


    Report graffiti to public works for free removal assistance* by submitting a 311 Help Request

    * For free removal assistance on your property, you must complete a removal authorization form

    Year to date map of graffiti removal efforts by council districts

    You can also call to report graffiti found in your area:

    • Public Property: (720) 865-7867
    • Utility Poles and Green Boxes: (303) 571-2512
    • Parks or Along Trails: (303) 458-4833
    • Telephones: (800) 234-4041 repair option
    • RTD Shelters: (303) 299-6700
    • DPS Property: (303) 575-4020
    • Highways: (303) 757-9511

    The City and County of Denver is working with stakeholder groups in Central Denver to address a growing need for publicly-accessible restrooms and to evaluate options for providing restrooms in high-use, high traffic locations. Accessible public restrooms can benefit public health and the environment, and can even enhance people’s mobility options.

    <Default Description>

    If you're planning construction that will impact curbs, gutters, sidewalks, driveways, streets, or other improvements in the right of way, you will need to be familiar with the City and County of Denver's policies and procedures and property owner responsibilities.

    Street Sweeping in Denver

    • Residential streets are swept once a month from April through November.
    • Street sweeping reduces air and water pollution
    • In order to help the sweepers go through smoothly, residents should remove items from the curb on street sweeping days.
    • Also, because sweepers can't sweep under parked cars, residents need to move their car on sweeping day.
    • Because street sweepers are 10.6 feet high and dump trucks are 12 feet high; low hanging branches present obstructions and residents should trim their trees back to 13 1/2 feet above the street and alley.
    • Street sweeping schedules are posted on residential signs which designate the sweeping day for each side of the block. you can sign up for Street Sweeping E-Reminders (E-minders will be sent April through November) to let you know when to move your vehicle.

    Snow Removal

    As the weather turns colder, the City of Denver wants our residents to know what to expect when snow falls. Visit for more detailed information on snow removal. During snowfall, we update the website in real time to reflect current conditions and our strategies.


    residential parking permit exempts a resident’s vehicle from the posted, on-street parking time limit restrictions on the block in which the vehicle owner resides. While having a residential parking permit doesn't guarantee you a parking space, it does mean you don't have to worry about time limits when parked on your block


    A residential parking permit does not allow parking in violation of any other parking regulations such as:

    • parking during street sweeping restrictions
    • parking in "no parking" zones
    • parking without paying meters

    If you received a permit renewal letter in the mail, you may now renew your residential parking permit online.

    Title Registration

    What you need:

    • Secure and Verifiable Identification is required. Anyone other than a named owner must have a DR2175, Non-secure power of attorneyto obtain license plates on behalf of a named owner and present his/her secure and verifiable identification.
    • Title (if available) and/or current registration. If the registration is more than six months expired at the time of application, you must provide the title or a copy of the title. 
    • If you reside in Denver, you must show proof of a Colorado vehicle emissions test. For emissions testing stations located in Denver Metro, please visit Air Care Colorado.
    • Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, DR 2698, completed by one of the following:
      • County Clerk or Motor Vehicle Agent (VIN inspections are performedMonday through Friday, 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the discretion of management)
      • Law enforcement officer. You must contact the local law enforcement agency to ensure that you may be serviced by that agency before you proceed to that office.
      • Licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer.
      • Licensed Colorado emissions testing station.
    • A current and accurate odometer reading.
    • Proof of vehicle insurance coverage (insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company's letterhead paper).

    Registration Renewal

    The online renewal service allows you to renew one or several vehicles in a single transaction using a credit card or electronic check. The service is provided by a third party working in partnership with the State of Colorado. The price of items purchased through this service includes funds to develop, maintain, and enhance the state's official web portal,

    Denver Motor Vehicle will mail renewal reminder postcards the 15th of the month prior to the expiration month as a courtesy to Denver residents.  If you did not receive a card or you lost your renewal card, call 311 and they can connect you with a DMV Specialist who can look up your registration fees and whether you need proof of insurance or emissions, you can then still take advantage of the online or mail in renewal options. 

    Denver County Motor Vehicle Branch Office Locations & Hours

    Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
    • Northeast Branch - In the Arie P. Taylor Municipal Building
      4685 Peoria St., Suite 101
    • Northwest Branch - In the Safeway Plaza            
      3698 W. 44th Ave.
    • Southwest Branch - In the Bear Valley Shopping Center
      3100 S. Sheridan Blvd.
    • Welton Branch - In the Five Points Plaza
      2736 Welton St. 





    Want to know what district you live in? Enter your address below:


    Robin Kniech
    Council At Large
    Phone: (720) 337-7712




    Denver 311 Help Center Call 3-1-1
    Outside Denver Call (720)913-1311
    Emergencies: 911 
    TTY Service: 720-913-8479




    Featured Maps
    View All Maps