Skip navigation

Project Guide For Electrical Work

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for the following areas of electrical work for the interior and exterior of your home:

  • New or relocated lights and outlets
  • Service upgrade

No permits are needed to replace like-for-like existing fixtures. For information on the permitting process for the installation of solar panels, see the project guide for solar panels. For information on lighted signs, see the guide for all signs.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Historic Landmark Status

If your electrical project involves exterior lighting or lighted signs outside of a landmark or historic district property, the project must go through the design review process.

Any project that involves changes to the exterior of landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you begin. The appropriate zoning, building, curb cut, or revocable permits needed for the project will be issued only after design review has been completed and the project has been approved. To determine your property’s landmark status, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right. Then, visit the Design Review web page for more information.

Building Code

Denver Building Code provides minimum standards for building in order to safeguard public safety, health and welfare. The permitting and inspection process ensures that all home projects meet these standards and that all dwellings are safe and habitable at the time of construction.

Listed in the order they must be obtained. All permits must be in hand and at site before work may begin.

  1. Current City of Denver Contractor’s License/Homeowner’s Exam
  2. Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness – if your project involves exterior lighting on a designated landmark or historic district property. Visit the Design Review web page for more information. 

The above must be in hand before you apply for the following:

  1. Electrical review  – if your project includes a service upgrade over 200A, a commercial electrical review will be required and can typically be done in the mornings at the Development Services permit counter (sign in for Commercial/MultiFamily - Electrical). Plans call also be logged in for review in lieu of the Commercial Same-Day Electrical Review process.
    • You will need:
    - 2 sets signed and stamped engineered plans 
  2. #3 Electrical permit (Quick Permit) - for new or relocated fixtures or upgrades less than 200A.

Quick Permits may be applied for by email. See For same day service, sign in online or at the kiosk once for two Quick Permits at a time.

Sign in online or at the kiosk once for electrical review (Comm/MultiFamily - Electrical) or once for #3 Quick Permit.

You will not need to sign up for #3 Quick Permit if the review is done through Commercial Walk-Through Electrical Review or if the plans are logged in for review.

Estimate Fees
Zoning and Building permit fees are based on valuation of the work to be completed including the labor and materials.  View the permit fee schedules to estimate the fees required for your project. There are no fees associated with Landmark Preservation approval.

Pay Fees
Fees can be paid in person at our cashier on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

To pay by mail, send a check to:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.


Typical inspections for electrical work in a home include the following:

  • Electrical inspection required for all electrical work over 50 volts


NOTE:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project. You will be advised as to which inspections your project requires through the permitting process and by your inspector.

Who Will Be Doing the Work?

Decide whether you plan to complete the project yourself or hire a licensed contractor to complete the job for you.

Do It Yourself

Do-It-YourselfYou may need to pass a Home owners exam  to demonstrate proficiency in specific trades in order to get a permit to do the work yourself. 

You will also need to meet a set of requirements established by the Denver Building Code and the Building Department Policy ADMIN 131.3 governing homeowner completed work.  This policy can be found on our Building Codes, Forms and Policies page. 


Contractors Use the Contractor license search to see if your contractor has obtained a contractor's license from the City and County of Denver. 


To view other considerations, see our Doing the Work Yourself page.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.