Skip navigation

Project Guide for Interior Remodel Projects

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the requirements for interior remodel projects involving structural changes inside your home. For information on specific types of interior remodels, visit the project guides for attic conversions, basement finishes, bathroom remodels and kitchen remodels.

No permit is required for simple projects that only replace (like-for-like) existing cabinets, countertops, tiling, flooring in the same configuration, and/or like-for-like electrical, plumbing or ventilation fixtures.  No permit is required for tearing down, replacing or repairing drywall, if limited to less than one 4-foot by 8-foot sheet.

Permits are required when your project includes the following:

  • Alteration to the existing floor plan.
  • Structural changes, such as adding or removing doors or windows.
  • New or rerouted ductwork.
  • New or relocated electrical or plumbing fixtures.


NOTE: If your project changes the use or occupancy of your home or creates an additional dwelling unit without altering the exterior of the structure, see the project guide for adding a new dwelling unit. For change of use/occupancy conversions that change the exterior of the structure see the Building/Expanding a Home page.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Historic Landmark Status
If your interior remodel will involve changing or replacing the windows of a landmark or historic district property, the project must go through the landmark design review process.

Any project that involves changes to the exterior of landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you begin. The appropriate zoning, building, curb cut, or revocable permits needed for the project will be issued only after design review has been completed and the project has been approved. To determine your property’s landmark status, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right. Then, visit the Design Review web page for more information.

Building Code

Denver Building Code provides minimum standards for building in order to safeguard public safety, health and welfare. The permitting and inspection process ensures that all home projects meet these standards and that all dwellings are safe and habitable at the time of construction.


Listed in the order they must be obtained. All permits must be in hand and at site before work may begin.

  1. Current City of Denver Contractor’s License/Homeowner’s Exam 
  2. Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness – if project involves replacing the windows and is in a designated historic district or landmark property. Visit the Design Review web page for more information. 

The above must be in hand before you apply for the following:

*For a complete list of required documentation for zoning and building plan review, download the Residential Permitting Guide (PDF).

  1. #1R Building Permit (Single-Family & Duplex Walk Through) 
  2. #3 Electrical (Quick permit) - required for new or relocated electrical outlets or light fixtures
  3. #4 Plumbing (Quick permit) - required for new or relocated plumbing fixtures
  4. #11 Forced-Air Furnaces, Ventilation and Air Conditioning and Gas Piping Permit (Quick Permit) - required for new ductwork

Quick Permits may be applied for by email. See For same day service, sign in online or at the kiosk once for two Quick Permits at a time. 

For #1R permit, sign in online or at the kiosk and select Single-Family & Duplex Walk Through. 

Estimate Fees
Building permit fees are based on valuation of the work to be completed including the labor and materials.  View the permit fee schedules to estimate the fees required for your project. There is no fee for the Landmark review.

NOTE: When Same Day Review is required for the #1R permit, a "walk through" fee of $100 may be charged in addition to the building permit fees, depending on the valuation of the project.

Pay Fees
Fees can be paid in person at our office on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

To pay by mail, send check to:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.

Typical inspections for interior remodel projects include the following:

  • Rough utilities (Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing )
  • Framing
  • Insulation
  • Drywall
  • Groundwork (Plumbing)
  • Pressure Test
  • Final Utilities (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing)


NOTE:   The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project. You will be advised as to which inspections your project requires through the permitting process and by your inspector.

Who Will Be Doing the Work?

Decide whether you plan to complete the project yourself or hire a licensed contractor to complete the job for you.

Do It Yourself

Do-It-YourselfYou may need to pass a Home owners exam  to demonstrate proficiency in specific trades in order to get a permit to do the work yourself. 

You will also need to meet a set of requirements established by the Denver Building Code and the Building Department Policy ADMIN 131.3 governing homeowner completed work.  This policy can be found on our Building Codes, Forms and Policies page. 


Contractors Use the Contractor license search to see if your contractor has obtained a contractor's license from the City and County of Denver. 


To view other considerations, see our Doing the Work Yourself page.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.