Skip navigation

Project Guide For Sewer Line Repair

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for repair of sewer lines. A licensed plumbing or sewer contractor must complete any sewer line repair work and call for the inspection.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Location of Utilities

When designing your project, you need to know where utilities are located. You cannot build over existing utilities. Before you dig, contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 1-800-922-1987 or 811 to mark underground utilities for your project.

Location of Existing Sewer Lines

If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. Visit Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) for application, guidelines and other specific information. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for additional details.

Listed in the order they must be obtained. All permits must be in hand and at site before work may begin.

  1. Current City of Denver Contractor's License

The above must be in hand before you apply for the following:

  1. Sewer Line Repair Permit
    A licensed sewer or plumbing professional must call Public Works at 303-446-3759 to obtain the repair permit and schedule the inspection.
  2. Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP)  (Plan Review) – required if repair work needs to be re-routed or if new connections need to be added. Visit the wastewater permits page for application, complete submittal requirements and guidelines, and other information.
  3. Street Occupancy Permit – required if sewer repair lines are located in the street or alley or for all proposed work within the public right of way. 
    See Street Occupancy Request Forms and Fees and General Traffic Control Procedures (PDF) for submittal information.

SUDP application and materials may be submitted by email (, online via e-Plan or in person at the Development Services Permit Counter. Sign in online or at the kiosk once for SUDP permit (SUDP).

Estimate Fees
The  Repair Permit is $55.00 per inspection. For Wastewater, there is a $100.00 application fee plus appropriate fees. Street Occupancy Permit fees are based on linear feet and square feet. There is a minimum fee of $50.00. View the permit fee schedules to estimate other fees required for your project.

Pay Fees
Fees can be paid in person at our cashier on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and checks at our counter.

To pay by mail, send checks to:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.


A Waste Water inspector will complete the inspection. The sewer lines need to be exposed for the inspection. 

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.