Skip navigation

Child Support Services

Join us in celebrating National Child Support Services Month! 

During the month of August, DHS is: 

    - Waiving the application fee for the first 100 customers to apply for support in Denver County! 

    - Extending Child Support hours until 5:30 p.m. every Tuesday for walk-in information - no appointment needed. 

    - Hosting an interactive Facebook campaign with parenting tips and fun prizes, including a family four pack to the Children's Museum and the Denver Zoo. Visit our page for more information.  

Paying Support is easier than ever! 

Register today at the Family Support Registry - Once registered, you can pay by phone, credit/debit card or electronic check at this easy-to-use statewide portal! 

DHS Express Payment Card - Skip the lines and make your payment faster with the new DHS Express Payment Card! Walk in and make your payment quickly by heading straight to the cashier's office without checking into the lobby or meeting with a technician. Email or call Child Support Services at 720-944-2960 to learn more about this service. 

About Child Support Services

Denver Child Support Services believes every child deserves emotional, medical and financial support from both of their parents. Financial commitment by parents, as well as their involvement in their children's lives, is very important for a child’s wellbeing.

Denver Child Support works to ensure children receive the support they need even though they may not live with both of their parents. 

We work to help children and their parents by:

    - Assisting with locating a non-custodial parent;

    - Establishing paternity and creating a legal relationship between a father and child:

    - Helping establish and enforce medical and child support orders;

    - Monitoring and enforcing court-ordered child support obligations;

    - Conducting reviews that may result in an increase or decrease in child support amounts.

Denver Child Support will help you get started with applying for and receiving services such as locating the non-custodial parent, establishing paternity, and establishing a child support or medical support order.


Applying for Denver Child Support Services 

If you are not currently receiving cash assistance/TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families), please use this Child Support Application Form/Spanish Child Support Application Form or call Denver Child Support Customer Service at (720) 944-2960 to request an application. 

If you are receiving TANF or CCAP and are a Denver resident, you will be contacted by Child Support Services to complete an application

Please complete your application and submit to the Child Support Services Team by dropping it off at the Child Support Services dropbox located outside the Child Support Services Lobby (1st floor) at 1200 Federal Boulevard


For any questions, please contact Denver Child Support Services: 

Phone: 720-944-2960



Additional Application Requirements  

To help us process your application, please be prepared to provide information about the other parent(s), including 

  • Full name
  • Social Security Number
  • Current address and/or recent employer
  • Birth date and location
  • Names of people who know her/him
  • Names and locations of other children
  • Financial information, including bank and retirement accounts, tax returns
  • Picture of her/him

Paternity is the legally-established relationship between a father and his child.

Benefits of Establishing Paternity

  • Fostering a working relationship between the child's parents
  • A child will have access to his father's Social Security payments, pension(s), retirement, life insurance, or disability benefits, etc.
  • The father’s health history will be available

Establishing Paternity

Paternity can be established by:

  • A man affirms he is the father of a child by signing an Acknowledgement of  Paternity form. This form needs to be signed by both the father and the mother and submitted to the Bureau of Vital Statistics. Once this form has been submitted to the Bureau of Vital Statistics and appropriate fees have been paid, the father's name will be added to the child(ren)'s birth certificate. This form can be obtained from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or at the birthing hospital.
  • A man affirms he is the father of a child by signing an Admission of Paternity and other appropriate paperwork at the Denver County Child Support Office. The legal documents are then filed with the court along with a Report of Paternity Determination form. Denver Child Support Services will certify the Report of Paternity Determination form and forward it to the Bureau of Vital Statistics to add the father's name to the child's birth certificate. Fees are charged for a copy of this changed birth certificate. 
  • A man denies, or is not sure if, he is the father of a child, genetic testing is requested. Once genetic testing is completed and a positive result is received, the father can admit he is the father of the child or paternity can be determined administratively or by the court.
  • If paternity is adjudicated, a Report of Paternity Determination form is completed by the Child Support Services Office and submitted to the Court.  The Child Support Office will certify the Report of Paternity Determination form and forward it on to the Bureau of Vital Statistics to add the father's name to the child's birth certificate. Fees are charged for a copy of this changed birth certificate.

Payment amounts are determined by reviewing both parents’ income and following the Colorado Child Support Guidelines. Credit may be given for other child support payments being made, day care expenses, medical insurance premiums for the child(ren), or other factors.

The parent who is ordered to pay child support will send payments to the Family Support Registry (FSR), Colorado’s centralized child support collection unit. The FSR processes payments and distributes funds to the custodial parent.

To receive credit for making a child support payment, the non-custodial parent must make the payment directly to the FSR unless authorized by the court to pay the custodial parent directly.

You may make your payment by check, money order, Western Union, direct withdrawal from a bank account, or wage witholding.

To check if a child support payment has been made or received, please call 303-299-9123 (or toll-free 800-374-6558) or email us at


Making child support payments

Send check, money order, and Western Union payments to:

Family Support Registry
PO Box 2171
Denver, CO 80201-2171

Always include your FSR number with or on your payment.

  • To arrange to make payments by direct withdrawal from a bank account, please use this Automatic Withdrawal Authorization Form.
  • To arrange to make payments by wage withholding, please contact FSR at 303-291-9123 or 800-374-6558 to request that service. 

Receiving child support payments

You may choose to receive payments from FSR as direct deposits to a bank account or through an FSR Visa card.

Once a parent has been ordered to pay child support, he or she must make arrangements to make those payments according to the order. Failure to make those arrangements or to continue making payments can result in steps being taken to enforce the child support order through legal or administrative methods.

Failure to pay child support may result in one or more of the following:

  • Suspended driver's license
  • Seizure of bank account
  • Income assignments
  • Interception of IRS and/or Colorado State tax refund 
  • Liens placed on property
  • Interception of unemployment and worker's compensation payments
  • Negative credit reports
  • Denial of passport application
  • Loss of professional and recreational licenses
  • Interception of gambling and lottery winnings

If anything changes in your circumstances or other aspects related to your case, do not stop making payments. Contact your Child Support representative to explain the details and find out what steps you should take. 

It is very important that we have your most up-to-date address! You must make sure we have your current address. If you have moved recently or are planning to move, please tell us your new address as soon as possible.

We want to help families by making sure that child support orders fit each family’s current circumstances. If there have been changes in either parent's life, child support may need to change, too. You must have an open case with us to request a review, but either parent can make the request.

The amount of child support ordered might be changed if one or more of the following has happened:

  • Changes in either of the parent’s income;
  • Changes in medical insurance coverage or in uninsured medical expenses;
  • Changes in child care expenses;
  • A change in the number of overnights either parent has with the children;
  • A child reaches the legal age of emancipation.

Process for changing a Child Support Order

Either parent can request a review of the Child Support Order. To modify an order, we use a “review and adjustment” process. The first step in that process is gathering information from both parents about income and expenses or other financial obligations. We may ask either or both parent(s) to come to our offices during the review process.

We will review all information provided to determine if there is a valid request and if there is, to determine the amount of the payments in the new child support order. Both parents will have the opportunity to provide input during the process.

Your current child support order is still in effect while your request is being reviewed and child support payments must continue to be made until a new order has been approved. 

Requesting a Review

Send your request in writing to technician who is handling your case. 

Please include the following information as part of your request:

  • Full name
  • Address and phone number
  • Social Security Number
  • IV-D case number or FSR case number
  • The reason you need your child support order changed
  • Copies of documents to support the request for the change, including:
    • Pay Stubs or unemployment documentation;
    • Child care receipts;
    • Proof of health insurance and premium amount'
    • A Parenting Time order or agreement

You can complete this Financial Statement (Word document) and include it with your written request for review. If you do not provide this form with your request, we will send you a form for you to complete and send back to us.

You can also complete the Request for Review form on the Colorado Child Support Enforcement web site.

Please contact the technician handling your case if you have specific questions or need additional help with this process.

If you have suggestions, questions or concerns about the Child Support Services program, please email us at

We are available 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.

If you are currently paying or receiving child support:

To find out about a Child Support payment that you are waiting for or that you have sent, please call the Family Support Registry (FSR) at (303) 299-9123 (or toll free at 800-374-6558).

It is very important that we have your most up-to-date address! Whether you pay child support or receive child support, you must make sure we have your current address. If you have moved recently or are planning to move, please tell us your new address as soon as possible.

The State of Colorado's Child Support Enforcement web site has extensive information for parents, employers, child support technicians, and partner agencies.

The state has also created the following two booklets to provide guidance for parents:

A Father’s Guide to Child Support (PDF)

A Parent’s Guide to Visitation (PDF)