General Assistance (GA)
GA offers a variety of services for people who are homeless or who are at risk of losing their housing. These services are available at our main office at the Denver Human Services building located at 1200 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204 between 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday or you can call our customer service line at 720-944-3666 for more information.
Types of General Assistance that may be available are:
- Burial Assistance — Denver residents who do not have sufficient funds for burial or cremation may be eligible for assistance based on a resource and income calculation surrounding individual circumstances.
- Temporary Shelter Assistance — Services are available to assist Denver County residents that are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Applicants must show proof that they have resided in Denver County for the past 30 days. Services included are eviction assistance, deposit, first months' rent and mortgage as well as emergency shelter and respite. Eviction assistance, deposit, first month's rent and mortgage programs can help individuals and families who have a current verifiable emergency preventing them from paying their mortgage/rent if the person(s) are able to demonstrate the ability to maintain the unit. Emergency shelter can assist homeless families, single women, those in need of respite (for homeless clients discharged from a specific hospital when a referral is issued by a social worker or doctor) and people with disabilities by securing an emergency bed or room through various shelter programs.
- Emergency Food Vouchers — Grocery store food vouchers may be available to individuals who are in need of immediate food assistance while pending SNAP benefits or who do not qualify for SNAP, if no other resource is available.
- Help with Medical and Hygienic Needs — One-time emergency prescription vouchers to King Soopers pharmacies can be issued for mandatory prescriptions, if no other resource is available. Personal hygiene supplies are also available on a limited basis.
- Transportation — One-way RTD bus tickets may be issued to a General Assistance client at DHS or by DHS Outreach Staff to assist with transportation to and from benefits related appointments. Greyhound bus tickets may be issued to homeless individuals to reunify them with family in another city. Find more about the Family Reunification process here.