Skip navigation

Old Age Pension

The Old Age Pension (OAP) program provides financial and health care assistance for people who are 60 years or older. To apply for Old Age Pension, you must be a Colorado resident and you must apply in the county where you live. Additionally, you must be able to prove citizenship in one of the following categories: born in the United States, a naturalized citizen, or a legal alien admitted into the United States.

The OAP program has two categories of assistance and both categories have age, income, and resource eligibility limits.

OAP-A includes Medicaid coverage. To be eligible for this program, you must be 65 and over and your income and resources must be under the current standard.

OAP-B includes the Old Age Pension Health Care Plan. To be eligible for this program, you must be between the ages of 60 and 64 and your income and resources must be under the current standard.

You may apply for Food Assistance, TANF, Medicaid, Child Care, and/or other assistance programs using just the Assistance Programs Application. Information about getting an application, filling it out, returning it, and interviewing are described below.

Applying for Old Age Pension Assistance

Step 1: Get an application

  • Online: Download the application
    (you will need to have Adobe Acrobat on your computer to be able to open this document)

  • In-person: You can come to any of our offices and pick up an application:
    Monday - Friday, 8:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.
    Castro Building
    1200 Federal Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80204

    East Office
    3815 Steele St.
    Denver, CO 80205

    Montbello Satellite Office
    4685 Peoria St.
    Denver, CO 80239

  • Mail or Fax: We can send an application to you by mail or fax – please call us at 720-944-3666 to have one sent to you.

    If you need more information regarding the application process or need any special accommodations, including the need for a sign language or other language interpreter, please ask our lobby staff at one of our offices or call us at 720-944-3666.

Step 2: Complete the application

Please fill out as much of the application as you can. At a minimum we will need to have your name, home street address, and signature on the application to begin the process (see page 8 of the application). If you need help or don't understand a question, a staff member at one of our offices can help you complete your application or you can call us at 720-944-3666.

The application can be used just for requesting Food Assistance or for requesting other types of benefits; mark any of the benefits that you wish to apply for on the list on page 1 of the application.

Step 3: Return the application to one of our offices

You can return the application to any of the offices listed above. As long as you provide your name, home street address, and a signature, you can turn in the form to begin the process, but providing as much information as possible could help complete the process faster.

The Old Age Pension program requires an interview before eligibility can be determined. 
Interviews are conducted Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m.  4:30 p.m. If we are not able to interview you the same day you turn in your application, an appointment will be scheduled for a future date and time.


Useful Phone Numbers

Child Abuse Hotline
Statewide: 1-844-CO-4-Kids (264-5437)
or in Denver: 720-944-3000
Adult Protection Hotline
DHS Customer Service


Colorado Relay/TDD

Child Support Services

Foster Care

GIVE Denver
720-944-GIVE (4483)

Denver City & County Information