Skip navigation

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families

Denver Human Services helps low income individuals and families apply for financial assistance through the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)/Colorado Works (CW) program, which provides monthly cash assistance to eligible participants who have followed an application process.
When you apply for TANF/CW, you can also apply for Food Assistance (SNAP), Medicaid, and Child Support services. In addition, childcare assistance through the Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) and other support services may be available while you prepare for or look for a job.
To be eligible for TANF/CW, you will be required to participate in a work-related activity; the required number of hours per week will be determined by the age of your children and whether or not you are in a two-parent household. Eligible work-related activities include (but must be approved): full-time employment, part-time employment, community service, education programs, job skills training, job readiness, or job search. If you are a parent under the age of 18, you must attend high school or a GED program and live with your parents or other approved adult.
Families are eligible to receive TANF for no more than five years (60 months) in a lifetime.
If you choose not to apply for TANF/CW, you may still apply for Food Assistance, Medicaid & Medicare, and/or Child Care Assistance

Online Benefit Service

PEAK is an online service you can use to determine your eligibility, apply for medical, food, cash assistance, and child care programs, check on your benefits and report changes.

Onsite Child Care

If you would like to use our free, on-site childcare center during your application process, you may reserve a space by calling 720-944-2812.

Useful Phone Numbers

Child Abuse Hotline
Statewide: 1-844-CO-4-Kids (264-5437)
or in Denver: 720-944-3000
Adult Protection Hotline
DHS Customer Service


Colorado Relay/TDD

Child Support Services

Foster Care

GIVE Denver
720-944-GIVE (4483)

Denver City & County Information