Skip navigation

Translate This Page


Apply for Assistance

Applying for assistance is easy, and we’re here to help you through the process. In addition to food, cash, and medical assistance, we offer other types of support and resources. If you don’t find what you need here, visit Additional Assistance to learn about other services we offer to older adults, veterans, and people with physical, intellectual, or developmental disabilities.


How To Apply


Apply online through the Colorado PEAK website. Se ofrece servicio en español. 

Please note: this site is maintained by the State of Colorado; when you click on the link, it will take you outside of the Denver Human Services portal.


In Person

Our offices are closed to the public until further notice to protect the health and safety of the community and help limit the spread of COVID-19.

While our offices are closed, applications for assistance can still be picked up and dropped off at any of our offices.


Mail or Fax

Have an application sent to you by mail or fax. Call 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information.

You may mail your completed application to 1200 Federal Blvd. Denver, CO 80402 or fax it to 720-944-3094.



While you cannot apply by phone, you can call 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information about the application process or for updates regarding your application. Se habla español. 


How to Apply for Emergency Assistance

Rental, eviction, first month's rent, mortgage, deposit, and some energy assistance is available for qualifying Denver residents.



What You Need To Know

Below, we’ve provided information about how to apply for different types of assistance. If you have any questions as you go through the application process, just give us a call at 720-944-4DHS (4347). Our staff is available Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. 

If you apply for assistance online through Colorado PEAK, your eligibility for food, cash, and medical assistance will be determined at the same time. If an interview is required, you will be notified and will need to call 720-944-4DHS (4347) to schedule your appointment.

Depending on your needs, we can also work with you determine if you qualify for:

  • Eviction assistance
  • Deposit, first month's rent, and mortgage assistance 
  • Emergency shelter 
  • Emergency food vouchers 
  • Old Age Pension 
  • Help with medical and hygienic needs 
  • Transportation/bus tickets 
  • Family reunification [PDF] 
  • Burial assistance 

You will need to come to one of our offices to apply for those additional types of assistance. Call 720-944-4DHS (4347) to find out what types of documentation will be needed.

If you’re looking for help paying for child care, visit our Child Care page. There, you’ll find the application (available in English and Spanish) and eligibility information, as well as additional tools and resources to help you choose the best child care provider for your family.

If you need help paying a portion of your energy bill during the colder months, assistance is available through LEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program). The program runs from November 1 through April 30. Everything you need to know about LEAP is available here.

 Some programs require an interview before eligibility can be determined.

  • If you’re applying for food assistance only, you can schedule an appointment by calling 720-944-4DHS (4347), or just stop by one of our offices. In most cases, you’ll leave with your food benefits that day.

  • If you’re applying for cash benefits through what is called the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, also known as Colorado Works) program, you’ll need to come in for an intake appointment after you complete your application to determine your employment, education, or job-training plan. Please note: You can apply online through Colorado PEAK for food, cash, and medical assistance benefits.

  • If you’re applying for Old Age Pension, Aid to the Needy Disabled, or some Medicaid Savings programs, you will also need to come in for an interview.

Get Started »

Apply for food, cash, or medical assistance online with Colorado PEAK, or call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to schedule an appointment to apply in person.

Stop by one of our offices during regular business hours and apply in person.


You May Also Find Helpful



Check your EBT balance with the MyCOBenefits App available in the Apple app store and Google Play app store.


We offer free, onsite child care during your application appointment.


If you receive food assistance, you're eligible for discounted admission to some of Denver's premier museums and cultural centers through the Explorer Pass program [PDF].


Call Colorado Crisis Services (1-844-493-8255) to get help with mental health, substance abuse, or emotional issues for yourself or someone you know.


If you need shelter tonight, call Mile High United Way's 2-1-1 helpline. 


Colorado Works

Monthly cash assistance for individuals and families, plus connections to community resources to help you get back on your feet.


Colorado PEAK

See if you're eligible and apply online for benefits, including food, cash, medical insurance, and early childhood assistance.


Food Programs

Learn about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and where to receive discounted groceries near you.



Main Office, Richard T. Castro Human Services Center
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204


Customer Service

720-944-4DHS (4347)

If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711. If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.


City Assistance

Call 3-1-1

Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911
TTY Service: 720-913-8479





Sign up to stay in touch with Denver Human Services.