Skip navigation

image of soup bowl being handed to man

Translate This Page


Shelter and Housing

Everyone deserves a safe, warm place to sleep. We’re committed to preventing and ending homelessness by connecting those without shelter to resources, support, and services to help them regain stability and improve well-being.

We can help you:

  • Access day and overnight shelter
  • Apply for rental, mortgage, and/or utility assistance
  • Locate supportive services in the community
  • Work toward finding long-term housing

What You Need To Know

If you need to access shelter or encounter someone who needs shelter between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, call 2-1-1. We highly recommend calling during business hours to make your arrangements for shelter.

  • Between 5 and 10 p.m., single women without children may access the Samaritan House Women’s Shelter at 2301 Lawrence Street.
  • Between 6 and 8:30 p.m., single men may access the Denver Rescue Mission’s Lawrence Street Community Center at 2222 Lawrence Street.
  • Between 5 and 8:30 p.m. seven days a week, families can request vouchers to the Volunteers of America Family Motel at the Samaritan House at 2301 Lawrence Street.

Please note that these times, dates, and details are subject to change.

For a detailed list of Denver shelters and services for people experiencing homelessness, visit the Department of Housing Stability's Homeless Help page. 

Yes. Check out our list of our shelter partners and the people they serve (single men, women, families, youth, and/or transgender individuals).

Denver Human Services assists families in need of emergency shelter. We may provide motel vouchers when all other sheltering resources have been exhausted. Families with proof of legal custody of children under 22 are eligible for an emergency shelter voucher to one of our partner locations. Proof of legal custody can be determined with birth certificates, school records, court documents, Social Security documents, or an open Medicaid, SNAP, or TANF benefit case.

During winter months (October to April), if the overnight lows are below 40 degrees, Denver Human Services will voucher after 7 p.m. at Samaritan House (Park Avenue at Lawrence) for single nights only.

Emergency shelter assistance locations and hours:

Additionally, from October to April, in accordance with its Cold Weather Policy, the Denver Sheriff Department will only accept direct referrals for families who are accompanied by a community partner for emergency assistance (for example, DPD and Street Outreach Teams).

Denver's Department of Housing Stability provides respite assistance to individuals experiencing homelessness who are discharged from Denver Health. A Denver Health social worker contacts the respite officer to arrange a bed per the directives of the attending physician.

If you are concerned for someone’s safety and they are not in immediate danger, call the Denver Police’s non-emergency line at 720-913-2000. If someone is in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1. 

Currently our shelters do not allow pets. If you’re experiencing homelessness and need shelter for your pets, animals can be left in the Denver Animal Shelter night drop boxes, which are always open and are indoors so they are heated. 

Certified service pets will always be allowed at our overnight shelters

You can help people experiencing homelessness by giving your time, your good, or your money. Find out more by downloading our Be a Giver guide [PDF].


You May Also Find Helpful



View emergency sheltering options during snowstorms and severe weather conditions.


Homeless Help assists people who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of becoming homeless to provide needed resources and services.


Download our Denver Shelters and Services Resource Guide [PDF].


Denver Day Works is a supported work program designed to provide a low- to no-barrier work experience for people throughout the city who are experiencing homelessness.


Find more housing resources, including how to access help with repairs, listings of affordable rentals in Denver, and weatherization services by visiting the Department of Housing Stability.


Get Started »

If you need shelter tonight, please call Mile High United Way's 2-1-1 help line, or visit them online.




Together, we’ve got this.


Colorado Works

Monthly cash assistance for individuals and families, plus connections to community resources to help you get back on your feet.


Colorado PEAK

See if you're eligible and apply online for benefits, including food, cash, medical insurance, and early childhood assistance.


Food Programs

Learn about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and where to receive discounted groceries near you.



Main Office, Richard T. Castro Human Services Center
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204


Customer Service

720-944-4DHS (4347)

If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711. If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.


City Assistance

Call 3-1-1

Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911
TTY Service: 720-913-8479





Sign up to stay in touch with Denver Human Services.