The Denver Day Works Pilot Program is a supported work program designed to provide a low- to no-barrier work experience for people throughout the city who are experiencing homelessness, while also connecting participants to supportive services such as food, shelter, and other necessities.
The initial pilot program (from Nov. 1, 2016, to Oct. 31, 2017) is funded through a partnership between Denver's Road Home, Denver Public Works, Denver Parks & Recreation and Denver Human Services.
- Nearly 200 people have had work opportunities during the program's first nine months
- More than 6600 hours of work and $83,000 in wages have been paid to participants involved in the program
- 76 participants have found permanent employment – 12 with the City and County of Denver
- Current work sites include Denver Parks & Recreation and Denver Public Works, with a temporary pilot site in RiNo
- Call Bayaud Enterprises at 303-830-6885 to learn about work opportunities or to become a future employer or work site
Who can participate?
- Individuals interested in working on a Denver Day Works site (at a city park, Public Works site or private company) will be initially assessed for job readiness by the outreach team
- Those who are not yet job-ready will be connected to resources to help them establish their job-readiness and be connected to a work site as soon as feasible
- Those who are job-ready will be referred to a job site and provided with information relating to location, contact person, proper attire, etc.
How does it work?
- Participants are given the option of working a full day or half day shift
- The contractor administering the program on behalf of the city will pay Denver Day Works participants at the end of each shift and they will be offered access to financial planning services at no cost to participants
- Workers at city job sites will be paid based on the city's ordinance guidelines
- If a client does not have access to identification, they will be offered the same work experience as others and will instead be provided other supportive services
- Initial background checks are not required, though may be required for longer term employment following their time with Denver Day Works depending on the position