Skip navigation



The Elderly or Disabled Refund Program provides a partial refund of property taxes, or the equivalent in rent, paid by qualifying Denver residents.

To qualify, residents must be 65 years of age or older and income limited OR be totally disabled.

This refund is a gift and, therefore, there is no lien attached to the property.


How To Apply

Denver Human Services will mail applications by May 1, 2018, to anyone who applied for the rebate in the previous year (2017). Applications for the 2017 tax year must be submitted between May 1, 2018, and April 30, 2019. Applications will be processed in the order they are received and processing may take up to six (6) months. After the application has been approved and processed, a check will be mailed to the applicant.


The application must be printed neatly and filled out in its entirety. If you need help, one of our representatives can help fill out the application at the Richard T. Castro Denver Human Services Center, located at 1200 Federal Blvd. Denver, CO 80204.

Applications can also be picked up after May 1, 2018, in the self-service areas at the locations below if one is not received by mail: 

Denver Human Services
Richard T. Castro Building
1200 Federal Blvd., Room 1026
Denver, CO 80204

East Office
Self-service Room
3815 Steele St.
Denver, CO 80205

Arie P. Taylor Municipal Center
Denver Human Services - Self-service Room
4685 Peoria St.
Denver, CO 80239

Who Qualifies and What Are the Restrictions?

To be eligible for the refund, you must either be a senior aged 65 or above or disabled. If you are a senior aged 65 or older, you must meet the income limits, have owned or rented your home, and have resided in Denver the entire year. If you are disabled, you must have owned or rented your home and been unable to engage in any substantial, gainful activity by reason of physical or mental impairment, determined within a reasonable degree of medical certainty, and receive benefit payment under any bonafide plan of a public or private agency providing total disability.

Applicant restrictions include:

  • Income for 2017 eligibility year on the application must not exceed $15,900 for single persons or $23,200 for couples.
  • All income counted includes social security and retirement benefit but excludes outright gifts and Medicare payments. If married, both incomes must be included, even if only one applicant is eligible.
  • Applicants cannot apply refund towards their property taxes. Property taxes must be paid in full prior to receiving the refund.
  • Mobile homes and/or mobile home spaces only qualify for the refund if they are subject to property taxes.
  • Only one refund may be claimed by a married couple, whether they live in the same dwelling unit (a single-family residence, apartment, or condominium occupied by the applicant) or separate dwellings because their incomes are combined. However, if only one spouse is living in the home, that spouse must be 65 or older to claim the refund.
  • In the case of a spouse's death, a living spouse would be considered married only for the year of eligibility and, in subsequent years, the living spouse would be considered single. When filing the application, the living spouse must include the death certificate and income for the deceased spouse, up until the time of their death. 
  • A personal representative or administrator of the estate may file for the deceased, providing the deceased was living during the entire calendar year of eligibility and a death certificate is provided.
  • Unmarried individuals who are living in the same dwelling can claim a refund only if each is renting from an owner or one owns and the other is a renter.
  • If the applicant is living in someone's home, such as a family member, the applicant can claim only rent (room) payments.
  • Applicants do not qualify for the refund unless the dwelling unit has been subject to property taxes (and is at least 25 percent taxable), or if the applicant is a resident of a qualified Denver Housing Authority property.
  • Living temporarily away from home does not negate your residency. However, renting the dwelling to others, while you are away, disqualifies you from the refund.
  • Nursing home residents are not eligible.

Translate This Page

Graphic button to Colorado State PEAK Assistance website


Graphic button to 'Temporary Assistance For Needy Families(TANF)' page



Denver Human Services
1200 Federal Blvd. Rm 1026
Denver, CO 80204



Denver 311 Help Center
Call 3-1-1
Outside Denver Call (720)913-1311
Emergencies: 911 
TTY Service: 720-913-8479