Skip navigation




Denver Human Services provides assistance for people who need to apply to receive long term care services.

You may be eligible for the following services, depending on your income and age, as well as whether you are disabled, and what types of assistance you are already getting (such as Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, and/or Old Age Pension):

  • Adult Foster Care
  • Alternative Care Facilities
  • Home Care Allowance
  • Home and Community Based Services
  • Nursing Home Institutionalization

You must be a United States citizen, a naturalized citizen, or a legal alien admitted to the United States to be eligible for these services. To apply for these services with us, you will need to show proof that you are a resident of the City & County of Denver.

Applying For Long-Term Care

Step 1: Get an application



You can come to any of our offices, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and pick up an application:

  • Richard T. Castro Building
    1200 Federal Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80204

  • East Office
    3815 Steele St.
    Denver, CO 80205

  • Arie P. Taylor Building (Montbello office) 
    4685 Peoria St.
    Denver, CO 80239


Mail or Fax:

We can send an application to you by mail or fax – please call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to have one sent to you.


If you need more information regarding the application process or need any special accommodations or need a sign language or other language interpreter, please ask our lobby staff at one of our offices or call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347).

Step 2: Complete an application

Please fill out as much of the application as you can. At a minimum we will need to have your name, home street address, and signature on the application to begin the process (see page 8 of the application). If you need help or don't understand a question, a staff member at one of our offices can help you complete your application or you can call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347).

The application can be used for requesting Food Assistance or any other types of benefits; mark any of the benefits on the list on page 1 of the application that you wish to apply for. Please note that an interview is not required to apply for Long Term Care benefits.

Step 3: Return the application to one of our offices

You can return the application to any of the offices listed above. As long as you provide your name, home street address, and a signature, you can turn in the form to begin the process, but providing as much information as possible could help complete the process faster.


Step 4: Make an appointment for an interview

You can make an appointment for an interview if you are applying for both long term care and other benefits. 

If you return the application in person, you can make an appointment for an interview. If you return your application by mail, our office will contact you to schedule an appointment – please be sure to provide your phone number on the application. Your appointment may be conducted in person or over the telephone.

Applying for Long Term Care benefits will not require and interview or appointment.

Step 5: The interview and decision

When you come to our office for an interview, please bring the following:

  • Your current driver’s license or other photo identification
  • Proof of income and other resources
  • Social Security numbers for all family members
  • Proof of Denver County residency

You will keep your original documents and we will make copies for our records.

Your application will be assigned to a Technician for processing, if you have questions about your case or if you need to provide additional documentation call (720) 944-4DHS (4347).

Step 6: Home Visit

A home visit will be conducted by Colorado Access (Single Entry Point Agency) They will determine the level of care you will need.

Step 7: If you are eligible

A notification will be sent to you via U.S. Postal mail.


Translate This Page

Graphic button to Colorado State PEAK Assistance website


Graphic button to 'Temporary Assistance For Needy Families(TANF)' page



Office Hours (all locations)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday - by appointment only
Customer Service
720-944-4DHS (4347)
If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711.
If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.



Denver 311 Help Center
Call 311
Outside Denver Call 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911 
TTY Service: 720-913-8479