Skip navigation




The Old Age Pension (OAP) program provides financial and may provide health care assistance for low income Colorado residents who are 60 years or older. To apply for Old Age Pension, you must:

  • be a Colorado resident
  • apply in the county where you live.
  • be able to prove citizenship in one of the following categories: born in the United States, a naturalized citizen, or a legal alien admitted into the United States.

    The OAP program has three categories of assistance and all categories have age, income, and resource eligibility limits.

OAP-A includes Medicaid coverage. To be eligible for this program, you must be 65 and over and your income and resources must be under the current standard.

OAP-B includes the Old Age Pension Health Care Plan. To be eligible for this program, you must be between the ages of 60 and 64 and your income and resources must be under the current standard.

OAP-C is for age 60 or older individuals who are committed to the Colorado Mental health Institute or regional center by court order.

Applying for Old Age Pension Assistance

Step 1: Get an application


(you will need to have Adobe Acrobat on your computer to be able to open this document).



You can come to any of our offices, Monday - Friday, 7:30a.m. - 4:00p.m., and pick up an application:

  • Castro Building
    1200 Federal Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80204

  • East Office
    3815 Steele St.
    Denver, CO 80205

  • Montbello Satellite Office (for residence zip codes 80238, 80239, or 80249) 
    4685 Peoria St.
    Denver, CO 80239


Mail or Fax:

We can send an application to you by mail or fax – please call us at 720-944-3666 to have one sent to you.

If you need more information regarding the application process or need any special accommodations or need a sign language or other language interpreter, please ask our lobby staff at one of our offices or call us at 720-944-3666.

Step 2: Complete an application

Please fill out as much of the application as you can. At a minimum, we will need to have your name, home street address, and signature on the application to begin the process (see page 8 of the application). If you need help or don't understand a question, a staff member at one of our offices can help you complete your application or you can call us at 720-944-3666.

The application can be used just for requesting Food Assistance or for requesting other types of benefits; mark any of the benefits that you wish to apply for on the list on page 1 of the application.

Step 3: Return the application to one of our offices

You can return the application to any of the offices listed above. As long as you provide your name, home streetaddress,and a signature, you can turn in the form to begin the process, but providing as much information as possible could help complete the process faster.

Some programs require an interview before eligibility can be determined. Information about interviews, based on the benefits you are applying for, is available below.

The Old Age Pension program requires an interview before eligibility can be determined. 

Interviews are conducted Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:30 a.m.  4:00 p.m. If we are not able to interview you the same day you turn in your application, an appointment will be scheduled for a future date and time.


Graphic button to Colorado State PEAK Assistance website


Graphic button to 'Temporary Assistance For Needy Families(TANF)' page



Office Hours (All Locations)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesday - by appointment only
Customer Service
If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711.
If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.



Denver 311 Help Center
Call 311
Outside Denver Call 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911 
TTY Service: 720-913-8479