Skip navigation



Denver Human Services (DHS) Child Support Services believes every child deserves emotional, medical and financial support from both of their parents. Financial commitment by parents, as well as their involvement in their children's lives, is very important for a child’s well-being.

Child Support Services works to ensure children receive the support they need even though they may not live with both of their parents. 

We assist children and their parents by:

  • Helping to locate a non-custodial parent
  • Establishing paternity and creating a legal relationship between a father and child
  • Establishing and enforcing medical and child support orders
  • Monitoring and enforcing court-ordered child support obligations

DHS Child Support Services will help you get started with applying for and receiving services such as locating the non-custodial parent, establishing paternity, establishing a child support or medical support order, and ensuring compliance with that order.

Applying for Child Support Services 

Please complete a Child Support Application FormSpanish Child Support Application Form, or call Denver Child Support Customer Service at 720-944-2960 to request an application.

If you are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) aid, and you are a Denver resident, you will be contacted by Child Support Services to complete an application

Once your application has been completed, please submit it to Child Support Services at:

Denver Human Services
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204

You can submit the application in one of the following ways:

  • Drop off the application with a representative in the Child Support Services lobby on the first floor of the Denver Human Services

  • Drop off the application in the Child Support Services dropbox located outside the Child Support Services lobby inside the Denver Human Services office.

  • Mail your application to the Denver Child Support Services

Please note that you can drop off your applications at any time the building is open to the public.

Have Questions?
Please contact Denver Child Support Services at (720) 944-2960 or

Documents for Your Intake Appointment

Denver Child Support Services will contact you within a week after receiving your application to schedule an intake appointment. To help us process your application during your scheduled appointment, please bring the following items:

  • $20 application fee (cash, check or money order). There is no fee for current TANF recipients.
  • Valid driver’s license/permit/state ID or US passport for the applicant
  • Social Security card for the applicant and each child on the application
  • Birth certificate for each child on the application
  • Any court orders involving you, the child(ren) or the other party
  • Financial information, including current pay stubs, bank and retirement account information and tax returns
  • Picture of the other party

Please bring as many of the documents listed above to avoid delays in processing your application and establishing an order for child support. We cannot process applications without the $20 application fee.

Paternity is the legally established relationship between a father and his child.

Benefits of Establishing Paternity

  • Fostering a working relationship between the child's parents
  • A child will have access to his father's Social Security payments, pension(s), retirement, life insurance, disability benefits, etc.
  • The father’s health history will be available

Establishing Paternity

Paternity can be established in any of the following ways:

  • A man affirms he is the father of a child by signing an Admission of Paternity and other appropriate paperwork at the Denver County Child Support Office. The legal documents are then filed with the court along with a Report of Paternity Determination form. Denver Child Support Services will certify the Report of Paternity Determination form and forward it to the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment to add the father's name to the child's birth certificate. Fees are charged for a copy of this changed birth certificate.

  • A man affirms he is the father of a child by signing an Acknowledgement of Paternity form. This form needs to be signed by both the father and the mother and submitted to the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment. Once this form has been submitted to the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment and appropriate fees have been paid, the father's name will be added to the child(ren)'s birth certificate. This form can be obtained from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment or at the birthing hospital.

  • A man denies or says he’s not sure if he’s the father of a child, and requests genetic testing. Once genetic testing is completed and a positive result is received, the father can admit he is the father of the child or paternity can be determined administratively or by the court.

  • If paternity is adjudicated (determined and ordered by the court), a Report of Paternity Determination form is completed by the Child Support Services Office and submitted to the Court. The Child Support Office will certify the Report of Paternity Determination form and forward it on to the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment to add the father's name to the child's birth certificate. Fees are charged for a copy of this changed birth certificate.

Establishing a Child Support Order

Denver Child Support Services establishes a child support order after identifying a party who has legal custody of the minor child(ren). The agency determines payment amounts by reviewing both parents’ income and using the Colorado Child Support Guidelines. Credit may be given for child support payments already being made, child care expenses and medical insurance premiums for the child(ren), or other factors.

To receive credit for making a child support payment, the non-custodial parent must have all payments processed through the Family Support Registry (FSR) unless authorized by the court to pay the custodial parent directly. The FSR is Colorado’s centralized child support collection unit. It processes payments and distributes funds to the custodial parent, and it is the official payment record keeper.

Available Payment Options

You may make your payment in cash or by check, money order, wire transfer, web application, direct withdrawal from a bank account, or through wage withholding.

Click on the link below to go to the Official State Child Support Services Portal of Colorado for payment options:

Cash payments can be made only at Denver Human Services:

  • We accept cash at 1200 Federal Blvd., Denver 80204 at the cashier’s counter on the second floor during normal business hours.
    • When making your initial cash payment, please first stop by the Child Support Services lobby on the first floor across from the Security Desk to request an Express Payment Card. This will reduce the time it takes you to make all future payments.

Contact our Customer Care Unit for further information at 720-944-2960 or

Receiving Child Support Payments

You may choose to receive payments from the FSR as direct deposits to a bank account or through an FSR Visa card.

Tracking Payments through the Family Support Registry

You can track payments online. Here you will be able to create a secure online account within the Colorado Division of Child Support Services portal and check for payments regularly.

You may contact the Family Support Registry by phone at 303-299-9123 or 1-800-374-6558.

Once a parent has been ordered to pay child support, he or she must make arrangements to make those payments according to the order. Failure to make those arrangements or to continue making payments can trigger judicial or administrative steps to enforce the child support order.

Failure to pay child support may result in one or more of the following:

  • Suspended driver's license
  • Seizure of bank account
  • Income withholding order
  • Interception of federal and/or Colorado state tax refund 
  • Liens on property
  • Interception of unemployment and worker's compensation payments
  • Negative credit reports
  • Denial of passport application
  • Loss of professional and recreational licenses
  • Interception of gambling and lottery winnings

If you receive notice that any of the above actions is about to occur, please contact us immediately to discuss what steps can be taken to keep your case in compliance. Our office may be able to work with you by providing referrals to community resources and/or entering into agreements to help your case get back on track.

If anything changes in your circumstances or other aspects related to your case, do not stop making payments. Contact your Child Support representative to explain the details and find out what steps you should take. 

It is very important that we have your most up-to-date address so that we can keep you current on the status of your case. If you have moved recently or are planning to move, please call our Customer Service Center at 720-944-2960 or call your assigned technician as soon as possible to give us your new address.

We want to help families by making sure that child support orders fit each family’s current circumstances. If there have been changes in either parent's life, child support may need to change too. You must have an open case with us to request a review, but either parent can make the request.

The amount of child support ordered might be changed if one or more of the following has happened:

  • A change in either parent’s income
  • A change in medical insurance coverage or in uninsured medical expenses
  • A change in child care expenses
  • A change in the number of overnights either parent has with the children
  • A child reaches the legal age of emancipation

Process for Changing a Child Support Order

Either parent can request a review of the Child Support Order. To modify an order, we use a “review and adjustment” process. The first step in that process is gathering information from both parents about income and expenses. We may ask either or both parent(s) to come to our offices during the review process.

We will review all information provided to determine if there is good cause for modifying the order. If we decide it’s in the child or children’s best interest(s) to change the order, we will recalculate the monthly child support payment using the Colorado Child Support Guidelines. Both parents will have the opportunity to provide input during the process.

Your current child support order is still in effect while your request is being reviewed and child support payments must continue to be made until a new order has been approved.

Requesting a Review

Send your request in writing to the technician who is handling your case. 

Please include the following information as part of your request:

  • Full name
  • Address and phone number
  • Social Security Number
  • IV-D case number or FSR case number
  • The reason you need your child support order changed
  • Copies of documents to support the request for the change, including:
    • Pay stubs or unemployment documentation;
    • Child care receipts;
    • Proof of health insurance and premium amount
    • A Parenting Time order or agreement

To expedite review of your request, download the English-Spanish Financial Statement (PDF), complete it and include it with your written request for review. If you do not provide this form with your request, we will send you a form for you to complete and send back to us.

You can also request a review of the child support order online by filling out the forms below and returning them to your technician by U.S. mail or email.

  • 2015-02-11 Modification Packet Cover Sheet
  • Review and Adjustment Request

Please contact the technician handling your case if you have specific questions or need additional help with this process.

We understand the challenges families face in raising children. We encourage you to seek out additional resources available through Denver Human Services and elsewhere in the community by visiting the following websites.

  • Goodwill Industries
    DHS Child Support Services has partnered with Goodwill Industries to assist our customers in obtaining life and job skills, which will promote healthy families. We will work with non-custodial parents who are having difficulty making child support payments, if they are willing to enroll in classes provided by Goodwill. For more information, please call 720-944-2960.
    Main number: 303-650-7700
  • GIVE Denver
    DHS Child Support Services has partnered with GIVE Denver to provide goods to the community, such as household items and school supplies. If you are in need of these items, please contact GIVE Denver directly or visit their website for more information on items available.
    720-944-GIVE (4483)
  • Denver Human Services Family Adult and Assistance Division
    DHS Child Support Services is partnered very closely with the Family and Adult Assistance Division. We are required by federal law to establish child support orders for customers receiving cash assistance through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. As well, most customers receiving a voucher through the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) in Denver are required to establish a child support order. If you have more questions, please contact us: 720-944-2960.
    Main number: 720-944-3666

  • DHS Fatherhood Program
    The DHS Fatherhood Program empowers fathers to grow as men and parents, as we support them to be the fathers they want to be to their children. The Fatherhood Program helps fathers gain the skills and support they need to “be there” for their children, both financially and otherwise. 

Graphic button to Colorado State PEAK Assistance website


Graphic button to 'Temporary Assistance For Needy Families(TANF)' page


Translate This Page

Graphic button to 'Prevent Child Abuse' page


Graphic advertisement for Onsite Child Care

Onsite Child Care

If you would like to use our free, on-site child care center during your application process, you may reserve a space by calling 720-944-2812.



Main Office
1200 Federal Boulevard
Denver, CO 80204


Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Lobby Hours
8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
We welcome walk-in visits during this time.

Customer Care Unit
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. to receive your phone calls at 720-944-2960.

Have Questions or Concerns? 
Please email us at

If you are currently paying or receiving child support:
To find out about a child support payment that you are waiting for, or that you have sent, please call the Family Support Registry (FSR) at 303-299-9123, or toll free at 1-800-374-6558.

It is very important that we have your most up-to-date address! 
Whether you pay child support or receive child support, you must make sure we have your current address. If you have moved recently or are planning to move, please tell us your new address as soon as possible.



Denver 311 Help Center
Call 3-1-1
Outside Denver Call 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911 
TTY Service: 720-913-8479