Skip navigation



General Assistance offers a variety of services for people who are homeless or who are at risk of losing their housing. These services are available at our main office at the Denver Human Services building located at 1200 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204 between 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday or you can call our customer service line at 720-944-4DHS for more information. 

Types of General Assistance Available:

Temporary Shelter Assistance (Eviction and Rental Assistance):

Services are available to assist Denver County residents that are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Applicants must show proof that they have resided in Denver County for the past 30 days. Services included are eviction assistance, deposit, first months' rent and mortgage as well as emergency shelter and respite. 

Eviction assistance, deposit, first month's rent and mortgage programs can help individuals and families who have a current verifiable emergency preventing them from paying their mortgage/rent if the person(s) are able to demonstrate the ability to maintain the unit. 

Emergency shelter can assist homeless families, single women, those in need of respite (for homeless clients discharged from a specific hospital when a referral is issued by a social worker or doctor) and people with disabilities by securing an emergency bed or room through various shelter programs.

Emergency Food Vouchers

Grocery store food vouchers may be available to individuals who are in need of immediate food assistance while pending SNAP benefits, or individuals who do not qualify for SNAP if no other resource is available.

Help with Medical and Hygienic Needs

One-time emergency prescription vouchers to King Soopers pharmacies can be issued for mandatory prescriptions if no other resource is available. Personal hygiene supplies are also available on a limited basis.


One-way RTD bus tickets may be issued to a General Assistance client at DHS or by DHS Outreach Staff to assist with transportation to and from benefits related appointments. Greyhound bus tickets may be issued to homeless individuals to reunify them with family in another city. Find more about the Family Reunification process.  

Landlord Tenant Guide

The Landlord Tenant Guide provides an easy-to-understand breakdown of the rights of both residential tenants and landlords in the City and County of Denver. Download the Guide (PDF) or en Espanol Guía para Propietarios e Inquilinos Residenciales (PDF).

Burial Assistance

Denver residents who do not have sufficient funds for burial or cremation may be eligible for burial assistance based on a resource and income calculation surrounding individual circumstances.


Graphic button to Colorado State PEAK Assistance website


Translate This Page

Graphic button to 'Temporary Assistance For Needy Families(TANF)' page



Office Hours (all locations)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday - by appointment only
Customer Service
720-944-4DHS (4347)
If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711.
If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.



Denver 311 Help Center
Call 311
Outside Denver Call 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911 
TTY Service: 720-913-8479