Skip navigation



Most low-income households can get help paying for food and Denver Human Services will help you apply for these benefits.


Step 1: Get an application




You can come to any of our offices, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and pick up an application:

  • Richard T. Castro Building
    1200 Federal Blvd.
    Denver, CO 80204

  • East Office
    3815 Steele St.
    Denver, CO 80205

  • Arie P. Taylor Building (Montbello office) 
    4685 Peoria St.
    Denver, CO 80239


Mail or Fax:

We can send an application to you by mail or fax – please call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to have one sent to you.


If you need more information regarding the application process or need any special accommodations or need a sign language or other language interpreter, please ask our lobby staff at one of our offices or call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347).

Step 2: Complete the application

Please fill out as much of the application as you can. At a minimum we will need to have your name, home street address and signature on the application to begin the process (see page 8 of the application). If you need help or don't understand a question, a staff member at one of our offices can help you complete your application or you can call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347).

The application can be used just for requesting Food Assistance or for requesting other types of benefits; mark any of the benefits on the list on page 1 of the application that you wish to apply for.

Step 3: Return the application to one of our offices

You can return the application to any of the offices listed above. As long as you provide your name, home street address and a signature, you can turn in the form to begin the process, but providing as much information as possible could help complete the process faster.

Step 4: Make an appointment for an interview

If you return the application in person, you can make an appointment for an interview. If you return your application by mail, our office will contact you to schedule an appointment – please be sure to provide your phone number on the application. Your appointment may be conducted in person or over the telephone.

To save time and to help the process go faster, please bring all the necessary paperwork with you. The following is a list of examples of verification that you might need to bring to your interview:

  • Identification
    • Birth certificate
    • Drivers license
    • Social Security Number of each person for whom you are applying for Food Assistance
    • Proof of immigration status for non-citizens who are applying for Food Assistance
  • Proof of Income (pre-tax)
    • Pay stubs for the past two months
    • Wage statement from your employer
    • Benefits letter from Social Security
    • Unemployment compensation
    • Veteran's administration or pensions
  • Child Support Payment (if you make these payments, they can be considered against your income):
    • Child support order
    • Separation agreement
    • Child support records
  • Medical Expenses (if you’re 60 or older or if you receive federal disability benefits):
    • Doctor or hospital bills
    • Prescription receipts
    • Receipts for over-the-counter medication expenses if prescribed by a medical practitioner
    • Transportation costs to get to medical care
  • Child Care Expenses (if you are working, looking for work, or in training)

Step 5: The interview and decision

If you have an interview scheduled at our office, bring your verification documents with you to the interview. You will keep your original documents and we will make copies for our records. 

If you have a telephone interview, the worker will explain how to submit your documents and will let you know if any additional information is needed.

You can call 720-944-4DHS (4347) if you have questions about your case or if you need to provide additional documentation.

After your interview, you will receive a notice in the mail explaining your eligibility.

Step 6: If you are eligible

You will get a notice that will explain how many months you can get food assistance benefits and the amount of food assistance you are eligible for.

Every month you are eligible, your food assistance benefits will be deposited into an account. You will be given a Colorado Quest debit card to use the money in this account; information about using this card will be included with the notice that you are eligible. You will use the card as you would any credit card when you are paying for purchases at a store.

This card can be used in any grocery store or retail location anywhere in the United States that has been authorized by the USDA and displays the Quest logo. Food assistance benefits can be used to buy most foods but may not be used to purchase food that can be eaten in the store or hot foods. Also, you may not purchase any nonfood items, such as:

  • Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, tobacco
  • Pet foods
  • Soaps, paper products, household supplies
  • Vitamins, medicines


If you are not eligible:

If you are not eligible for food assistance benefits, you will receive a notice that explains why. If you feel you have been denied incorrectly, you can call or visit our office. You may also request a Fair Hearing (you will not be charged for this hearing). 


Civil Rights/Anti-Discrimination

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: 202-690-7442; or

(3) email:

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at 800-221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at:

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write:

HHS Director
Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200
Independence Avenue, S.W. 
Washington, D.C. 20201

or call 202-619-0403 (voice) or 800-537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Graphic button to Colorado State PEAK Assistance website


Graphic button to 'Temporary Assistance For Needy Families(TANF)' page


graphic advertisement for Denver Botanic Gardens Farm Stand program


Employment First

Connecting Denver County SNAP participants to education, training, and resources in order to gain meaningful employment that leads to self-sufficiency.


Graphic advertisement for Onsite Child Care

Onsite Child Care

If you would like to use our free, on-site child care center during your application process, you may reserve a space by calling 720-944-2812.



Office Hours (all locations)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday - by appointment only
Customer Service
720-944-4DHS (4347)
If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711.
If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.



Denver 311 Help Center
Call 311
Outside Denver Call 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911 
TTY Service: 720-913-8479