Skip navigation

If you are using assistive technology and are unable to access the content of the documents on this page, please contact the Public Trustee department.


If the borrower believes that a lender or servicer has violated the requirements for a single point of contact in section 38-38-103.1 or the prohibition on dual tracking in section 38-38-103.2, the borrower may file a complaint with the Colorado Attorney General, the Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), or both. The filing of a complaint will not stop the foreclosure process.

Releases & Other

In Colorado, the Public Trustee processes releases of Deeds of Trust upon payoff or re-finance of a property loan. Recording the release of the corresponding Deed of Trustee lien signifies that the lien is satisfied.

Title companies, banks and other lending institutions should file their releases of deeds of trust electronically. For information on electronic filing of releases of deeds of trust with the Public Trustee, please contact either Simplifile or Corporation Service Company (formerly Ingeo).

eRecording Services

Procedures for Deed Releases

Documents required for processing a release of deed of trust are:

  • Release of Deed of Trust form, signed and notarized 
  • Deed of Trust, original or copy
  • Promissory Note, the original document only, marked “paid” or “cancelled” 

Certified mail is recommended for documents submitted by U.S. mail.

Costs for filing, recording and additional pages can be found on the Fees page. Visit the Forms page to download appropriate forms for the release of deed of trust.

All completed releases are recorded and become public documents searchable in Denver's recorded document database.

Note: True "mortgages" are rare in Colorado, which is a "deed of trust" state.  If you have a document that has been recorded as a mortgage, the release of this document is completed through the Clerk and Recorder's Office. If you have a release of an actual mortgage, please contact the Recording Department in the Clerk and Recorder's office at 311 (or 720-865-8400 outside of Denver) to get the exact wording and requirements for properly recording the release.

The Denver Public Trustee accepts monthly payments into escrow accounts for real estate taxes on properties sold under installment land contracts.

Escrow account balances are transferred to the Denver Treasury Division each April. The annual escrow fee can be found on the Fees page.

To set up payments for an installment land contract, send an email to, with "Installment Land Contract" in the subject line. Please include your name and phone number.