Skip navigation

Releases of Deeds of Trust


If the borrower believes that a lender or servicer has violated the requirements for a single point of contact in section 38-38-103.1 or the prohibition on dual tracking in section 38-38-103.2, the borrower may file a complaint with the Colorado Attorney General, the Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), or both. The filing of a complaint will not stop the foreclosure process.

In Colorado, the Public Trustee processes releases of Deeds of Trust upon payoff or re-finance of a property loan. Recording the release of the corresponding Deed of Trustee lien signifies that the lien is satisfied.

Title companies, banks and other lending institutions should file their releases of deeds of trust electronically. For information on electronic filing of releases of deeds of trust with the Public Trustee, please contact either Simplifile or Corporation Service Company (formerly Ingeo).

eRecording Services

Procedures for Deed Releases

Documents required for processing a release of deed of trust are:

  • Release of Deed of Trust form, signed and notarized 
  • Deed of Trust, original or copy
  • Promissory Note, the original document only, marked “paid” or “cancelled” 

Certified mail is recommended for documents submitted by U.S. mail.

Visit the Forms and Fees page to download appropriate forms for the release of deed of trust and view the current costs for filing, recording and additional pages.

All completed releases are recorded and become public documents searchable in Denver's recorded document database.

Translate This Page


True "mortgages" are rare in Colorado, which is a "deed of trust" state.  If you have a document that has been recorded as a mortgage, the release of this document is completed through the Clerk and Recorder's Office. If you have a release of an actual mortgage, please contact the Recording Department in the Clerk and Recorder's office at 311 (or 720-865-8400 outside of Denver) to get the exact wording and requirements for properly recording the release.

If you are using assistive technology and are unable to access the content of the documents on this page, please contact the Public Trustee department.


201 W. Colfax Avenue
Dept. 101
Denver, CO 80202
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.


Office of the Clerk & Recorder

Phone: 720-865-8400

Report a Problem | Ask a Question