Skip navigation

Fire Safety Operational Permits

The Fire Prevention Division of the Denver Fire Department issues Operational Permits, which allow the applicant to conduct an operation or a business for which a permit is required. 

For these permits:

  • Any special event (carnivals, fairs, exhibits and trade shows, concerts, etc.) may require a permit
  • Ongoing operation of large assembly occupancies, such as theatres and arenas
  • Fireworks and pyrotechnics
  • Parade floats
  • Canopies
  • Storage and use of compressed gases
Special Detail Program:
  • If you are holding a special event The Denver Fire Code requires:
  • Ensuring that exits remain open and unblocked
  • Providing crowd control
  • Acting as liaison to emergency response crews in the event of an emergency incident
  • Supervising pyrotechnics, fog machine, and other special effects to ensure that these operations are done in a safe, code-complying manner
  • For events involving motorized vehicles, monitoring carbon monoxide levels 

Marijuana establishments and businesses involve unique operations which can create significant life safety and fire hazards. All marijuana establishments and businesses engaging in these activities shall be required to obtain all applicable annual operational permits from the Denver Fire Department, in addition to applicable construction permits and Excise and License business licenses.    

Below is a pdf flow chart overview of the Denver Fire Department Marijuana permitting process.  (Please click on the chart to enlarge)

Extraction facilities modifying equipment, solvents, and/ or processes please note the process for review and approval: Extraction Modification Notice

Marijuana Extraction Guideline for Licensed Commercial Facilities (PDF)

Denver Fire Code and Security Requirements - Marijuana Facilities (PDF)

Permits related to new construction or installation of new safety systems in buildings are issued following plan review in the offices of  Development ServicesDenver’s one-stop Development Review and Permitting Center. 
When the construction involves hazardous materials, processes or equipment such as emergency generators, you may need operational permits. These may include: 
  • Hazardous materials use and storage
  • Flammable liquids use and storage
  • Emergency generator, fuel tanks, fire pump fuel tanks
  • Hot works, tar kettles
  • Compressed gas use and storage
  • Temporary fire standpipes
  • Temporary staircase to the highest level of construction, at all times

For all operational permits please apply via the E-Permits - Accela Citizen Access portal below. 


Operational permits issued for processes and materials must be renewed annually, fees will be assessed at renewal. 

Operational permits are effective for 12 months from the date of issue unless otherwise stated on the permit. You will receive notice via the contact information on file as a reminder of pending expirations. Please contact us if there are any changes that would affect the status of your permit. 
Operational permits are issued via E-Permits - Accela Citizen Access. Please see below to register and apply for permits. 

Mobile Retail Food Vendors ( Food Trucks and Carts)

A Mobile Retail Food Vendor is defined as follows: An establishment that sells or serves food to consumers that reports to and operates from a commissary and is readily moveable, such as a truck, trailer, cart or kiosk. Examples include a mobile food truck that travels to different locations, moveable hot dog stand that sets up on a periodic basis, or other food carts or pushcarts that are wheeled and towed to a specific location.

Fire Safety Requirements for Mobile Retail Food Vendors:

The Denver Fire Department is involved in the licensing process by requiring an conducting annual Fire Safety Inspections to ensure compliance with the Denver Fire Code and also by requiring an Operational Permit obtained from the Denver Fire Department for the use of Propane (LPG). Contact the Denver Fire Department Mobiles Inspectors (Info Below) for Policy and Application Information.

Mobile Retail Food Vendor Policy

Denver Fire Department Contact Information:

Phone: 720-913-3474  (Ask for the Food Truck Inspector)


Denver Department of Public Health and Environment

Phone: 720-913-1311


City and County of Denver Business Licensing Center (Step by Step)

Excise and License Retail Mobile Food License Information







E-Permits - Accela Citizen Access

Access E-Permits - Accela Citizen Access to:

  • Apply for Operational Permits issued by Fire Prevention
  • Apply for Conveyance Permits and Submit Documents
  • Pay fees for Operational Permits, Conveyances, and Inspections
  • Review Occupancy Inspection Information 
  • Update contact and account information 
For questions please email: or call: 720-913-3474
For Marijuana Occupancy questions please email:
For Conveyances please email:

Please review our E-Permits - Accela Citizen Access User Guide for information and instructions. 
Payments for Services & Fees

Checks made payable to:

Denver Manager of Finance

You can deliver in person to:
745 West Colfax Avenue - 1st Floor
(receipt will be issued)

Or mail to:
P.O. Box 733422
Dallas, TX 75373-3422

Payment may also be made online by credit card.

You can also call (720) 913-3474 if you have questions regarding making payments.

Contact Us

For questions please contact us at:

Fire Prevention 
720-913-3474 or


Main Office:
745 W. Colfax Ave. 
Phone: 720-913-3474

More Contact Info


Denver Fire Department

Dial 9-1-1 for Emergencies Only
For Non-Emergencies Dial 3-1-1 or 720-913-1311


Denver Fire Department logo