Skip navigation

Lost, Damaged, or Stolen Plates & Placards


Translate This Page


Denver Motor Vehicle Branches Closed

To protect the health and safety of our community and limit the spread of COVID-19, Denver’s motor vehicle branches are closed to the public until further notice. We are only processing online registrations at this time.

You can renew online, but if your registration requires an in-person visit, the city is providing a grace period for expired registrations through June 26. Denver Police Department will not issue citations for expired tags during this time. For extra peace of mind, you can obtain a letter from the state to keep in your vehicle at

Many transactions can be completed online including:

  • Vehicle registration renewals
  • License plate or sticker replacements
  • Address updates
  • Some vehicle registrations.

New tags will be mailed in approximately 2-3 weeks and you will receive a letter to keep with you in your vehicle until they arrive.

To learn more about current Emissions Testing, visit our Emissions page.

To learn about guidance for New Vehicle Purchases, visit our  Register a New or Used Vehicle page.

photo of vehicle with damaged plate

The Denver County Motor Vehicle Department will assist Denver County residents with the replacement of lost, stolen or damaged plates and/or placards. If you are not a Denver County resident, please visit the State of Colorado DMV website to locate your branch office.

 Please note:

All vehicles are required by Colorado State law to have both a front and back plate.


Replace lost, stolen or damaged plates

Depending on the type of vehicle, there will be a nominal fee for any plate replacement.

 Regular Colorado Plates (two plates) cars, trucks, etc.  $8.06
 Regular Colorado Plate (single plate) trailers, heavy eqt. $6.17
 Month Tab $.11 
 Year Tab $.17

Denver county residents should bring their most recent Colorado Registration/Ownership Tax Receipt, proof of insurance and a form of photo identification into one of our DMV branch office locations and our agents will assist you in replacing your missing plates.

To report a lost or stolen plates to police:
  1. Complete and sign a Form DR2283 affidavit indicating that your license plates were stolen. A signature is required from one owner.
  2. Denver county residents should submit the completed form to one of our DMV branch office locations to perform the cancellation of plates.
  3. Denver county residents must contact the Denver Police Department to report the plates as stolen.

Replace disability placards


Motor Vehicle Locations, Hours, and Wait-times

Trending Services

Not Registered to Vote?

Register to vote, find your registration, check your registration status and more!

Looking for Driver's License Info?

Denver County Motor Vehicle Offices Do Not Provide Driver's License Services.

Driver's licenses, ID cards, and driving records may be obtained at state offices only.
Visit below to learn more: