Skip navigation

Register a Trailer, Heavy Equipiment, Motorcycle, or RV

Trailer Registration

photo of trailer with hitch

The State of Colorado requires that all trailers be registered. Visit Denver's DMV branch offices (Denver residents only), and be sure to bring the required documentation:
1) New owner identification  (secure and verifiable)  or  Form DR2175 Power of Attorney and their own identification (secure and verifiable)
2) Vehicle title (properly endorsed)
3) Dealer paperwork if purchased from a Colorado dealer



photo of motorcycle on sunny morning

The State of Colorado requires motorcycles to be titled and registered the same as other motor vehicles, except that motorcycles do not require an emissions test and fees / taxes are likely to be less than with other motor vehicles considering the license fee is determined by the empty weight of a vehicle. Learn how to register a vehicle...

Dirt bikes (or off-road bikes), are not considered motor vehicles by the state, but still need to be registered with Colorado Parks and Recreation.



RVs & Motor Homes

photo of RV on mountain road

The State of Colorado requires motor homes and RVs to be titled and registered the same way as other motor vehicles. The only difference is going to be in the fees / taxes paid. Considering the license fee is determined by the empty weight of a vehicle, you can expect to pay more.

Learn how to register a vehicle...




Heavy Equipment / Special Mobile Machinery

  • Special mobile machinery (SMM) vehicles are of a design commonly used in the construction business. These vehicles, self-propelled or otherwise, are not designed to transport persons or cargo over the public highways.

  • Motor vehicles which have been redesigned or modified with the attachment of special equipment or machinery (over 500 pounds), and this attachment becomes an essential part of the operation for which the vehicle was intended, will be classified as special mobile machinery.  

Registration requirements

In order to register and/or title heavy equipment or special mobile machinery (SMM) in Denver County, the following documentation is required: 

  1. New owner identification. (Secure and verifiable)
  2. Bill of sale. Bill of sale must be properly completed.
  3. Equipment Invoice. (Bills of sale and equipment invoices often will not indicate the year of manufacture or the model of the equipment. The owner will therefore need to provide the serial number for the unit.)
  4. Affidavit of ownership.
  5. Vehicle title. Vehicle title must be properly endorsed by previous owner.
  6. Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO).

 * Out-of-state SMM equipment. SMM equipment is to be registered immediately upon entry within the State of Colorado. Registration options for SMM equipment are available as SMM off-highway decals or on-highway plates. Please vist the Department of Revenue for more information on Port of Entry requirements.


Motor Vehicle Locations, Hours, and Wait-times

Trending Services

Not Registered to Vote?

Register to vote, find your registration, check your registration status and more!

Looking for Driver's License Info?

Denver County Motor Vehicle Offices Do Not Provide Driver's License Services.

Driver's licenses, ID cards, and driving records may be obtained at state offices only.
Visit below to learn more: