The City and County of Denver supports and celebrates initiatives and causes that align with The City’s values. By lighting the City and County Building, we can visually demonstrate, in a unique way, the City’s support as well as promote awareness to various initiatives that impact our diverse community.
If you are interested in lighting the City and County Building a specific color to recognize a community impacting initiative, or create social/charitable awareness, please review the lighting criteria and policy below. All online nominations must be submitted a minimum of 60 days prior to the requested lighting date*.
Upon approval, you will be contacted with additional steps & details.
CITY AND COUNTY BUILDING LIGHTING CRITERIA
- Nominations must be received a minimum of 60 days in advance of the requested lighting date and will be approved on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Chosen nominations must align with the City and County of Denver values.
- Nominations must be one of the following:
- A Denver-based nonprofit organization with its principal office address located within the City and County of Denver, with a 501 (C)(3) status; or
- A 501(C)(3) organization with a Denver-based chapter that is registered with the Colorado Secretary of State.
- Nominations will be considered if the request falls within one of the following categories:
- Extraordinary events/occurrences of City, State, National or International significance
- Non-profit Awareness Initiatives
- Non-profit organization milestones or significant anniversaries (in 25-year increments)
- City and County of Denver initiatives
- Lightings will not be considered for advertisement or commercial promotions; or for groups that discriminate against age, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, military status, gender, gender variance, or marital status.
CITY AND COUNTY BUILDING LIGHTING POLICY
- No more than 3 separate lightings will take place each month
- The building will not be lit for more than 15 days total each month
- Lightings dates must coincide with other activities or programming related to your awareness initiative and can be requested for the following durations*:
- One (1) Day
- Multiple days, but no more than 7 consecutive days
- Lights will be displayed at sundown through 10:45 PM on the requested date(s)
- Approved lightings may be re-scheduled due to priority requests of the City and County of Denver
NOTE: The below lightings are designated each year by the City and County of Denver and nominations will not be accepted.
- Veteran’s Day *
- Holiday Lighting Display *
- Independence Eve & Independence Day (July 3rd -4th)
- Denver Police Department Week- in recognition of *Fallen Officers"*
*The actual lighting dates will change each year
- Open Enrollment will occur at the beginning of each year (on January 1). Please note exceptions below:
- Applicants requesting to light the city and county building in the month of February can submit their nomination form on December 1.
- Applicants that submit their applications before the open enrollment period will be asked to resubmit on January 1 or after. Their request will only be considered once resubmitted.
- A single organization is eligible to light the City and County Building for only three (3) consecutive years. ( beginning with 2017 ). Future lighting nominations will be accepted once one (1) off-year has occurred.