Skip navigation


W-4 FormsImage of tax documents

You must complete Form W-4 so that the Payroll Division can calculate the correct amount of tax to withhold from your pay.  Federal income tax is withheld from your wages based on marital status and the number of allowances claimed on this form. You may also specify that an additional dollar amount be withheld. You can file a new Form W-4 anytime your tax situation changes and you choose to have more, or less, tax withheld.

Whether you are entitled to claim a certain number of allowances or exemption from withholding is subject to review by the IRS.  Your employer may be required to send a copy of Form W-4 to the IRS.

You can fill out and file a paper W-4 to payroll, or submit your W-4 information via Workday.

Electronic Viewing and Updating My W-4 Tax Information

Click here for a step-by-step guide on updating and viewing your W-4 information in Workday.     

You should check your payslip periodically to make sure your tax information and deductions are correct, such as: 
  • New benefit deductions 
  • Changes to your 457 Plan
  • Changes to your allowances
  • Changes to your dependents 
  • Changes to FSA medical amounts
  • Exempt status changes

To submit an updated W-4 in hard copy, email, fax, or mail to:

Fax: 720-913-5249

Payroll Division
201 West Colfax Ave., Department 1109
Denver, CO 80202

W-2 Forms

W-2s are mailed to employees on or before January 31st each year. Check that your mailing address is current to avoid any problems receiving your W-2. If you are interested in receiving your Form W-2 up to two weeks sooner, check out  how to receive your electronic Form W-2 that you can print yourself. You must have access to Workday to sign up for electronic W-2s.

Need a pre-Workday payslip, W-2 or financial report? 

To access archived payroll information in PeopleSoft, click the “PeopleSoft” link in the “Workday” section of the new Denver Employee Intranet. The page includes links to log in to PeopleSoft for Human Resources and PeopleSoft Financials, as well as detailed instructions for logging in to both environments.

If you have any problems logging in to Peoplesoft, submit a ticket to SupportNow.

If you need to request a new W2, please complete this  Request W2 Form and submit to

Tax Limits and Calculations

This is for informational purposes only as the City and County of Denver does not provide tax advice. You should consult with your tax advisor regarding your particular tax situation.

Social Security Tax Limits for 2018

Maximum Wage Base: $128,400.00

Rate Withheld (Employee): 6.2%
Maximum Tax Withheld: $128,400.00 x 6.2% = $7,960.80
Rate Withheld (Employer): 6.2%
Maximum Tax Withheld: $128,400.00 x 6.2% = $7,960.80

Medicare Tax for 2018

Wage Base: There is no maximum wage base or deduction for Medicare Tax

Rate: 1.45% on the first $200,000 that you earn ($250,000 for married filing jointly)
Rate: 2.35% on any earnings over $200,000

457 Plan and 457 Plan Catch-up Contribution Limits for 2018

457 Plan Contribution Limit: $18,500.00
457 Plan Catch-Up Contribution Limit: $24,500.00 (for employees 50 years or older)
457 Plan Catch-Up Contribution Limit if you are within three years of retirement: $36,500
To calculate the percentage:
Take the maximum contribution allowed - divided by your estimated year-to-date earning, equals the per pay period 457 Plan percentage (i.e., $17,500.00/$45,000.00 = 39%)
For help with TIAA retirement plans or investment options, contact a TIAA consultant at 855 259-4648 or visit their website.

Denver Employees Retirement Plan (DERP)

This is a defined benefit plan, whose purpose is to provide retirement benefits to qualified members of the City and County of Denver and Denver Health and Hospital Authority.

Please visit their website at to learn more about the Plan, Benefits and Health Insurance, to calculate Benefits, and to obtain forms, and other information.

For questions, contact:

Denver Employees Retirement Plan

777 Pearl Street
Denver, CO 80203-3717
Phone: 303 839-5419 Fax: 303 839-9525


If You Claim Exempt

If you claim “exempt” from withholding, you must submit a new W-4 form each year, no later than February 15th, if you do not, your exemptions will automatically be set to “Single” and “0”.

Calculate Different Scenarios

Curious to see how adding fewer dependents or putting more money into your flexible spending account will affect your taxes?
Visit to calculate different scenarios for your tax withholdings and other deductions.
To calculate your tax withholding, use the IRS Withholding Calculator.



Controller's Office, Payroll Division

720-913-5186 phone

720-913-5249 fax