Skip navigation
Denver Police Department

Police Help Lines

Dial 9-1-1 for Emergencies ONLY

Non-Emergency Help
Crime Stoppers Anonymous Tips
720-913-7867 (STOP)
Gang Hotline
Report Graffiti
311 or
(720) 913-1311
Sex Offender Hotline
Hate Crimes Hotline

Report a Vehicle Crash

Anytime you are involved in a traffic crash or collision with any other object, whether that may be another vehicle, pedestrian, building or bicyclist, Colorado State law requires all drivers involved to give their name, address and vehicle registration information to all other persons who are involved. This means you must show your driver's license to anyone who asks to see it. In all cases, except for times when an "Accident Alert" has been declared, you must stop and report the crash to the local police agency by calling your local district police station or 911.

Reporting a Crash During Accident Alerts

An "Accident Alert" is declared when conditions (usually poor weather or other community emergency) are so severe that Police Officers are unable to respond to volume of motor vehicle crashes. Some cities may be on Accident Alert while others may not depending on how the conditions are affecting a specific area. You must call for Denver Police response by dialing 911 and speak with the dispatcher to determine if a Police Officer will be sent to the scene of a crash.

While Accident Alert is in effect, Police Officers will only respond if the following circumstances exist:

1) Damaged vehicles are causing the street to be closed.

2) The crash involves a fatality or injury requiring medical attention.

3) Impaired driving (alcohol or drugs) is involved.

4) Any of the involved drivers fails to remain on scene (hit and run).

5) Any of the involved drivers does not have a valid driver's license.

6) Involves on-duty City personnel or there is damage to public property.

If the crash does not meet the criteria for a police response you must do the following:

1) All drivers involved must exchange their name, driver's license information, vehicle registration information and proof of insurance information.

2) File a report as soon as possible by reporting the crash to your local district police station or calling 911. For crashes that occur outside of the Denver city limits, you must respond to that jurisdiction to complete the counter crash report.



Translate This Page

Request Crash Records

Visit our records page at to order accident records or for information pertaining to an accident report. For an accident report case number please call the Denver Police Records Section at (720) 913-6029 anytime from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays.

Vision Zero - Together We Can Achieve Zero Traffic Deaths In Denver - Learn More