Skip navigation

Road Work, Closures & Detours

To ensure the safety of workers and people using the streets and sidewalks in Denver, it is sometimes necessary to close vehicle traffic lanes, bike lanes and sidewalk or pedestrian areas. Some projects do require extended closures or complete shutdown of specific sections of the road or right of way. When full closures are scheduled, it is typically because work can be completed faster than it could with a series of smaller closures. 

Temporary traffic signs and barriers are set up in advance of closures where they are needed to direct the flow of traffic. Obey all posted signs and detours, and always proceed cautiously near construction or heavy equipment.

Current Closures & Notices

Navigate North Denver — Keep up to date on construction in North Denver, with information on available routes, detours, and road closures; visit

Follow @DenPublicWorks on Twitter for more closure updates and reminders!


Emergency Road Work

Sometimes roadways are closed without advance notice so crews can address an urgent situation like a water leak or service outage. Most emergency work is completed within 48 hours.

Please contact 3-1-1 if you have questions about emergency work in effect in your area.

Other scheduled closures

Permitted special events may involve road closures or detours. See the Denver Special Events calendar.

See for updates on weekly work for street maintenance and improvement (weather permitting)

See road work notices for state highways and roadways maintained by the Colorado Dept of Transportation

Much of a city’s infrastructure for water, power, transportation and communications is located underground. Other agencies, such as Xcel, Denver Water, RTD and Century Link, may need to close streets to perform repairs or maintenance.

Please contact 3-1-1 if you have questions about utility work in your area.

All closures of the public right of way for private development require a permit from the City and County of Denver.

Construction companies are responsible for signage and notification in affected areas, which should include the company name and contact information.