Skip navigation

Traffic Signs

Traffic signs or road signs are signs erected at the side of roads to provide information to road users.

Street Name Sign

A Street Name Sign has the street name and sometimes other information, such as the block number or the name of the city or county in which the street is located.

Driver Feedback Sign

A driver feedback sign (also called a radar speed sign, changeable message sign, Your Speed sign, radar feedback sign, speed radar sign, radar speed display, speed feedback sign, traffic calming sign, speed display board, dynamic speed display (DSDS) or variable message sign) is an interactive sign, generally constructed of a series of LEDs, that displays vehicle speed as motorists approach. The purpose of radar speed signs is to slow cars down by making drivers aware when they are driving at unsafe speeds.

Traffic Signs: Requests for Service

Some people think that speeding and other traffic safety problems can be solved by making an intersection into an all-way stop. When used properly and selectively, all-way stops can improve traffic safety. However, misuse and over use of all-way stops can negatively impact neighborhoods by creating a nuisance for area residents while increasing noise and air pollution and not making the area safer. There is also a tendency for drivers to run through all-way stops if there is no apparent reason for them. In addition, when drivers encounter stop signs too frequently, they tend to speed up between intersections out of frustration in order to make up lost time.

For these reasons, the City has developed guidelines for the installation of all-way stops in order to avoid their overuse. The objective is to reserve all-way stops for intersections where this extra level of control is truly needed.

Before installation of a stop sign at an intersection an investigation must be conducted. The location must be examined for volume of pedestrian and automobile traffic and frequency of accidents. The investigation will determine if a signal is “warranted” at that location according to the guidelines of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD.

The City and County of Denver is divided into “districts” managed by the City’s Transportation Engineers. Pursuant to your request and in the order in which it was received, the engineer managing the requested district will study the intersection to see if a stop sign is, in fact, warranted. Call 311 to contact the engineer for your area.

Call 720-865-4000 to report  a sign that  is missing or has been damaged. 

Citizens can request disability parking signs on the street adjacent to their property.  Requests must be approved by the Commission for People with Disabilities.  Callers must contact Dale Coski, 720-913-8480, to request an application.

The City of Denver does not install children playing signs in the Public Right of Way. 

An often heard neighborhood request concerns the posting of generalized warning signs with "SLOW-CHILDREN AT PLAY" or other similar messages. Parental concern for the safety of children in the street near home, and a misplaced but wide-spread public faith in traffic signs to provide protection often prompt these requests.

Although some other states have posted such signs widely in residential areas, no factual evidence has been presented to document their success in reducing pedestrian accidents, operating speeds or legal liability. Studies have shown that many types of signs attempting to warn of normal conditions in residential areas have failed to achieve the desired safety benefits. If signs encourage parent and children to believe they have an added degree of protection, which the signs do not and cannot provide, a great disservice results.

Because of these serious considerations, Colorado law and Federal Standards do not recognize use of "Children at Play" signs. Specific warnings for schools, playgrounds, parks and other recreational facilities are available for use where clearly justified.

Children should not be encouraged to play within the street travelways. The sign has long been rejected since it is a direct and open suggestion that this behavior is acceptable.

The city only installs memorial signs for fatal traffic related accidents. Requests must be approved by the Denver District Attorney’s Office. Contact the D.A. Office at 720-913-9000.

The City of Denver does not install Dog Waste signs in the Public Right of Way. Citizens may purchase and install Dog Waste Signs on private property only.

Any other requests for traffic signs in the Public Right of Way must be sent to the Signs and Pavement Markings Engineer for approval and installation.  Call 311 to reach the Signs and Pavement Markings Engineer.

All calls for police enforcement of an existing traffic sign should be transferred to Denver Police Departments Neighborhood Enforcement Team, 720-865-6905.

If a traffic sign is obstructed by tree branches, broken, knocked down, missing, hanging loose, etc.:

During normal business hours:

Call 311 and ask to be connected to Traffic Engineering Dispatch.

Outside of normal business hours:

For problems with stop signs, yield signs and one-way signs, contact the Denver Police Department non-emergency line at 720-913-2000.  
All other signs, call 311 and ask for TES Dispatch Voicemail.