The Master Compost Training Programs offers Denver residents a unique opportunity to not only learn about composting and recycling topics, but also a great way to give back to our community. Through hands-on sessions, Master Composter program participants learn about a broad range of composting, recycling and resource conservation topics, and then share their newly acquired knowledge with the broader community through outreach events and by facilitating Learn to Compost classes.
No experience necessary!
Here’s a little more about how the program works:
- Instruction: Master Composters receive 40 hours of instruction in compost science, resource conservation, compost bin construction, worm composting, urban gardening, recycling and solid waste management, and community outreach.
- Service: In exchange for this training, Master Composters are required to return 40 hours of outreach by participating in outreach events and by teaching composting classes to Denver residents. Participants have six months to complete the outreach service requirement. Please note, outreach opportunities often fall on evenings and weekends, and participants need to provide their own transportation.
- Dedication, not experience: Master Composters do not need to be experienced composters or gardeners to participate, but participants must be able to commit the time necessary to attend the classes, tours, demonstration site sessions and also complete the 40 hours of outreach.
- Cost: A $35 fee is generally required to help cover the cost of program materials. However, an inability to pay the fee should not deter qualified candidates! Under certain circumstances, the fee can be waived.
- Schedule: During a 10 week period between February and April, training classes are held about once a week on a combination of Monday evenings and Saturday mornings, with one all-day weekday field trip. Outreach hours are self-paced, but must be completed between May and October.
- Enrollment: Each year, approximately 35 enthusiastic and committed participants are selected for this program.
- Click here to download the "Become A Master Composter" flyer.
We are now accepting applications for the 2016 Master Composter Training Program. For more information and application details, visit DUG.org/master-composter call 303-292-9900.