Skip navigation

Refund Payment to Seniors and Disabled

The Seniors and Disabled refund payment provides a partial refund of property taxes, or the equivalent in rent, paid by Denver residents who are 65 years of age or older and are income limited or totally disabled. This refund is a gift and, therefore, there is no lien attached to the property.

The Denver Treasury Division will mail application forms at the end of  April to anyone who applied for the rebate in the previous year. Applications must be submitted between May 1 and April 30 of the following year. Applications will be processed in the order they are received and processing may take up to 6 months. After the application has been approved and processed, a check will be mailed to the applicant.

The application must be printed neatly and filled out in its entirety. If you need help, one of our representatives can help fill out the application in our office.

First time applicants, you can pick up applications after May 1st at the following location:

Treasury Division
Wellington E. Webb Building
201 W. Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80202
(720) 913-9300 or (720) 913-9500

Seniors, aged 65 or above and disabled persons are eligible for this refund. You must have been a Denver resident during the entire calendar year for which the application is being made. Only one spouse needs to be 65 years or older to qualify. The applicants must qualify based on residency and age or total disability . The maximum amount an applicant can receive is based on income.

Applicant restrictions include:

  • Income for 2014 eligibility year on the application must not exceed $15,900 for single persons or $23,000 for married couples.
  • All income counted includes social security and retirement benefit but excludes outright gifts and medicare payments. If married, both incomes must be included, even if only one applicant is eligible.
  • Applicants can not apply refund towards their property taxes. Property taxes must be paid in full prior to receiving the refund.
  • Mobile homes and/or mobile home spaces only qualify for the refund if they are subject to property taxes.
  • Only one refund may be claimed by a married couple, whether they live in the same dwelling unit or separate dwellings, because their incomes are combined. However, if only one spouse is living in the home, that spouse must be 65 or older to claim the refund.
  • In the case of a spouse's death, a living spouse would be considered married only for the year of eligibility and, in subsequent years, the living spouse would be considered single. When filing the application, the living spouse must include the death certificate and income for the deceased spouse, up until the time of their death. 
  • A personal representative or administrator of the estate may file for the deceased, providing the deceased was living during the entire calendar year of eligibility and a death certificate is provided.
  • Unmarried individuals who are living in the same dwelling  can claim a refund only if each is renting from an owner or one owns and the other is a renter.
  • If the applicant is living in someone's home, such as a family member, the applicant can claim only rent (room) payments.
  • Applicants do not qualify for the refund unless the dwelling unit has been subject to property taxes or, if the applicant is a resident of the Denver Housing Authority.
  • Living temporarily away from home does not negate your residency. However, renting the dwelling to others, while you are away, disqualifies you from the refund.
  • Nursing home residents are not eligible.


Questions about the Seniors and Disabled refund payment?
Contact a representative at one of these locations:

Treasury Division
Wellington E. Webb Building
201 W. Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80202
(720) 913-9300 or (720) 913-9500

Community Relations | Commission on Aging
303 W. Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80202
(720) 913-8450

Housing Authority of Denver
1100 W. Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 534-0821