Frequently Asked Questions

  • Injured or Sick Animals
  • Vicious Animals
  • Animal Bites
  • Animal Cruelty

To report an animal emergency, please CALL 720- 913-1311 or 311

The Denver Municipal Animal Shelter tracks pet statistics such as redemptions, adoptions, transfers, and euthanisia rate through the Asilomar Accord, a national model which is designed to provide a uniform method for tracking pet statistics. Yearly and monthly reports can be found here.

Denver Animal Shelter does not currently offer behavior training for pets.

For help with a specific issue, please contact our behavior assistance email at or visit the ASPCA Virtual Pet Behaviorist page.

What do I do if a dog or cat bites me?  
Colorado revised statute 25-4-603 requires all animal bites be reported within twelve (12) hours.
To report a dog or cat bite you will need to call the County where the bite happened, not where the owner of the dog or cat lives. If you were bitten in the City and County of Denver you would report the animal bite to the Division of Animal Control at  720- 913-1311 or 311. Other wise check the listing for out of county agencies.


Reptiles and squirrels are not carriers of rabies and therefore are not quarantined for rabies. You do not need to report the bite. We do suggest that you contact your doctor.

What if my dog or cat bites someone?

Colorado revised statute 25-4-603 requires all animal bites be reported within twelve (12) hours.
To report a dog or cat bite you will need to call the out of county agency where the bite happened, not where you live. If your pet bit in the City and County of Denver you would report the animal bite to the Division of Animal Control at 720- 913-1311 or 3-1-1. Your pet will be quarantined for ten (10) days from the date of the bite. Each bite case is handled individually.  


For information related to redeeming a lost animal, visit the Redemption Process and Fees page.

To report a barking dog, call the Denver Animal Care and Control 720- 913-1311 or 3-1-1 to report a problem. We take complaints for the City and County of Denver. If the dog barking problem is in another county you must call that Animal Control Agency.

For more information related to barking dogs in Denver, see the Barking Dog Nuisance section on the Denver Animal Ordinances page.

Who do I call for dead animal removal?

Denver Animal Care and Control does not pick up dead animals. You may call the Agencies listed below for this service.

Dead animal collection 
Denver 3-1-1 or (720- 913-1311)

Dead animals on the highway

State Department 303-757-9514 (M-F  8-5)

Colorado Highway Patrol 303-239-4501 (afterhours)

Non-domesticated WILDLIFE

Colorado Divison of Wildlife during business hours at 303-291-7227

or 303-291-7373 

Can I bring my deceased animal to you?

The Denver Municipal Animal Shelter does not pick up dead animals, but if you are a resident of the City and County of Denver you may bring your pet or the animal here during normal business hours and we will dispose of it at no cost toyou.

Visit the Denver Parks and Recreation website for more information on Denver's dog park locations.
For information related to the keeping of Food Producing Animals in Denver, see Food Producing Animals on the Denver Animal Ordinance page.

Check out the Denver Animal Shelter Donate page for ways that you can help the shelter and the animals.

For Office, Adoption, Animal Visitation and Redemption hours and locations, see Contact Us.

What is an Intact Animal Permit?

Spay/neuter is required for all dogs and cats living in the City and County of Denver. An intact permit allows you to keep your pet from being spayed or neutered.

How can I get an Intact Permit?

You may choose any of the following options:

  • Call the Division of Animal Care and Control at (720) 913-1311, we can mail you an application.
  • Come in to the office located at 1241 W Bayaud Ave, Denver,CO 80223,  to pick up the intact permit application in person.
  • Or you can simply download the Application For Intact Permit.

Once the application is completed and the necessary documents are submitted to the Division of Animal Care and Control allow 5 business days to process your application, you cannot obtain a permit the same day of application.

If it is approved or denied you will be notified by telephone.

Annual Intact Permit Fee: (Animal Code Sections 8-152(a)(6): $150.00

What if I am not approved for the permit?
If you are not approved for the permit, you will need to either spay or neuter your pet or you can call the Division of Animal Control at (720) 337-1800 and find out why you were denied the permit. Then you can fix the problem and reapply. If you are still denied you will need to have your pet spayed or neutered.

Denver's leash laws are intended to protect the health and safety of both the people and pets who enjoy visiting Denver's many parks and open areas.  Pet owners who violate this ordinance are subject to a fine.  More information on Denver's Leash Law.
For information related to obtaining a Livestock or Fowl Permit in Denver, see the Livestock or Fowl Permit section on the Denver Animal Ordinance page.
Visit the Microchips page for information related to microchipping your pet.

To report animal cruelty in the Denver Metro Area call the Animal Control Department in your location.  Link to departments.

For information about spay/neutering your pet, visit the Spay and Neuter page.

For information about Denver's spay/neuter ordinance or to download an Intact Permit Application, visit the Spaying and Neutering section on the Denver Animal Ordinances page.

Where can I take my pet if I am no longer able to care for or keep it?
Denver Animal Shelter is working in collaboration with the Dumb Friends League (DFL) on the Denver Stray Project. The goals of the program are to save more animals’ lives and to increase the return-to-owner rate of lost Denver pets by making DAS the “one stop shop” for finding your lost pet in Denver. Therefore, if you are a resident of Denver and have a pet that you need to surrender, please bring it to DFL at 2080 S. Quebec Street. Their hours are Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–7 p.m. and Weekends: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. For more information, call 303-751-5772.

I am disabled and/or don’t have transportation to take my pet to the animal shelter?

A City and County of Denver resident may contact animal control and speak to a supervisor for assistance regarding an owner relinquishment.

Where can I take my pet for euthanasia?

We recognize that for most people, the end of a loved animal companion's life is one of the most difficult and heart-breaking experiences of their lives. We offer counseling and compassionate care to support you & your pet. We will take your pet to a calm and quiet room and perform the most humane euthanasia.

This service is available only to residents of the City & County of Denver for a $50 fee. You can bring your pet to the shelter during regular business hours. We are unable to accommodate visitation during the procedure; however, we will provide your pet with a calm & caring departure to Rainbow Bridge.

Where can I take my pet if I am not a Denver County resident?
You will need to contact your local animal shelter or animal control agency.

Twitter Link Button

1241 W. Bayaud Ave.

Denver, CO  80223
3-1-1 or 720-913-1311

Mon – Fri | 10:30AM – 6:30PM
Sat & Sun | 10:00AM – 5:00PM

Adoptions and redemptions end 30 minutes prior to closing. 

Meet and greets and visits with animals end 1 hour prior to closing. 

Closed Holidays